Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On 5-13-20 at 8:30am i had an accident with my bike, that's how i hurt my back. Sorry i didn't tell you guys at the time, i guess i didn't want to talk about it while my back was healing. I told you guys i hurt my back lifting something very heavy, and i did. I felt ashamed of what i did. If someone had asked what i had lifted i would have told you, i won't lie to you guys. Blame it on man pride. Wanted to wait until i figured it out before telling anyone. btw, my back is a lot better now.

i was riding through a mall parking lot about 50 miles away and hit a curb in the lot doing approx 30 mph. I never saw it, i just didn't see it. I cannot explain it more than that really. I wore gear that day, ff helmet, Joe rocket jacket, gloves and boots. As i navigated this huge never ending parking lot i noticed countless "curbing islands" throughout, little kidney shaped curbed areas designed to direct traffic flow, it was the last one before leaving the lot that i missed seeing.
It was like a blind-sided crash, not even a nanosecond of forewarning. I was leaving the lot, then BAM, i saw white for 1/2 a second and next thing i was on the other side of this thing still in the seat, still holding the bars, bike was still running and upright, feet still on the floorboards....but the bike was stopped (standing still) and started going down. i almost stopped it from touching the ground but it did touch the ground. Someone walking through the lot gave me a hand standing the bike up, that's how i hurt my back, trying to save the bike. I didn't report it to my insurance until 6-22-20.

Long story short, i got a call from the in$urance company today and they are totaling the bike.:oops:
they offered a settlement. 2 numbers, one i let them take it away, the 2nd i keep the bike. Someone would call in the next couple days for my decision.
I had told them initially that at a minimum the forks have to be rebuilt in addition to the cosmetic damage.

But this is what totaled the bike, frame damage.

Other than that here's the bike pics sent to the in$urance. (post accident obviously)

Here's the other damage pics i sent

I am glad it's off my chest now and that i came clean with what happened.

Registered
Frame damage ...something is bent?

Hitting a curb at 30 mph....rattle your molars.:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3

in this pic, if you run your thumb over the area there is a flat spot. The other side is scratched but still round.
Other than the front fork shocks being weakened (blew out the seals?) and need to be rebuilt it rides like it used to from what i can tell. it wants to nose dive hitting the front brake now, little resistance....

Registered
Discussion Starter #4

The fact that i didn't see it meant i was "loose" when i hit the curbing so yeah i must have flown out of the seat then back into it. I wasn't all clenched up and tight like i just saw it. So it didnt seem to really hurt me that much. It was the 2-3 mins of holding the bike at a 45 degree angle and trying to get it back upright that hurt me. I rode the bike home 50 miles (highway) and not slowly either, which in hindsight was risky.

Registered
Glad you are doing better. Back issues are no fun as I have them. Don't let them low ball you and if you want to keep it have a bike shop give you an opinion on the frame damage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Salvage titles i am not into..... although worth thinking about.

7.2 K they come tow the bike away as is (nothing removed).

4.4K I keep the bike but then have to get re-titled etc. (2.8k for the bike)

I should have counter offered 7.2K and i buy the bike for 1.5K. I was so enamored with the 7.2K that i didn't try to negotiate. I did/do have a lot of accessories on the bike.

I'll probably take the 7.2K and maybe look for another bike..... Damn it for 1.5K i would have kept it.... maybe i can call the guy back tomorrow? Thoughts. In any event they are being fair with me i feel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you are doing better. Back issues are no fun as I have them. Don't let them low ball you and if you want to keep it have a bike shop give you an opinion on the frame damage.
Should i call back the negotiating agent and ask to buy the bike for $1.5K (rather than 2.8k) taking a chance that i can just put 2 new forks on (350 each). or ? what do you think.

Registered
Salvage titles i am not into..... although worth thinking about.

7.2 K they come tow the bike away as is (nothing removed).

4.4K I keep the bike but then have to get re-titled etc. (2.8k for the bike)

I should have counter offered 7.2K and i buy the bike for 1.5K. I was so enamored with the 7.2K that i didn't try to negotiate. I did/do have a lot of accessories on the bike.

I'll probably take the 7.2K and maybe look for another bike..... Damn it for 1.5K i would have kept it.... maybe i can call the guy back tomorrow? Thoughts. In any event they are being fair with me i feel.
You have good memories on it.

For 1.5 k I'd keep and fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
You have good memories on it.

For 1.5 k I'd keep and fix.
Installing new forks looks like a very doable thing. all the lights work, not leaking anything starts right up runs nice. Like i said other than the forks being spongy the bike rode the same to me, Neck ins't loose rides straight.
I had zero deductible. During the Pand they are doing everything by pics. No in-person stuff.

Registered
Installing new forks looks like a very doable thing. all the lights work, not leaking anything starts right up runs nice. Like i said other than the forks being spongy the bike rode the same to me, Neck ins't loose rides straight.
I had zero deductible. During the Pand they are doing everything by pics. No in-person stuff.
If you fix it, you'll have stories to tell.(y):coffee:

Registered
That frame rail is ground pretty damn flat. Takes the 'structure' out of the picture for the adjuster. I could not trust that frame with my life. If you're bent on keeping it (which I get) get another frame. Or, consult a certified welder/fabricator. Good luck. Glad you weren't hurt worse.

Registered
Sorry to disagree.

frame damage is minimum, paint and minor metal removed..

if I remember correctly.. a motor mount before damage and after damage

measure the undamaged area of frame.. then measure 2 areas of damaged area.. do the math, how much metal was removed.

based on your photos.. I would purchase it.. and fix it,,, then ride it.

Insurance companies total bikes just because of minor frame damage.
last year a VTXOA member's bike was totaled because the foot peg was ripped off on a minor mishap.

my opinion...
or as Blast said.. have a welder look at it... for repair.

Registered
Junk it. Take the money and buy another for 3-4k.
Hell, buy another.
VTXArizona great you recovered from your accident and want to continue riding. Now making the choice to repair or replace your bike. It's sounds like you want to stay with a VTX. Rebuilding and doing the work yourself will take time. Any used ones in your area? Other VTX members what would you do if you had to make this choice? Go with the same bike you had or move on to a different make and model.

Registered
Glad you are okay and recovered.

If you keep it, will they still insure you, if yes will it be a higher rate as the bike was 鈥渢otalled鈥?

It sounds like a decent offer for the bike, I鈥檇 be inclined to take it and find another.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

Registered
Sorry to disagree.

frame damage is minimum, paint and minor metal removed..

if I remember correctly.. a motor mount before damage and after damage

measure the undamaged area of frame.. then measure 2 areas of damaged area.. do the math, how much metal was removed.

based on your photos.. I would purchase it.. and fix it,,, then ride it.

Insurance companies total bikes just because of minor frame damage.
last year a VTXOA member's bike was totaled because the foot peg was ripped off on a minor mishap.

my opinion...
or as Blast said.. have a welder look at it... for repair.
I agree with Chuck.

That's a surface scratch with a minimum of paint missing, not an impact crater.:)

Have someone experienced do a damage assessment. Go for a ride today.

Good luck with your back.

Registered
Sorry for your accident, and embarrassment for telling us. Not a big deal. 2 kinds of riders, ones who've dropped their bike one way or another, and those who've not. Glad your back issues are behind you now. If you were a constant rider, I'd say get another ride asap. But you've been off now while your back recovered with time on your hands, so whats a little more time to get it checked out and re-make it yours? Tough decision, glad I don't have to make it.

Registered
The damage doesn't look bad at all but will you have that nagging question in the back of your mind? The bike isn't worth $2800 (to me) I'd have a hard time turning it down for $1500 but I'd probably regret it after I bought it.

Registered
I went down on the 1800 in '16 after being taken out by a hit & run driver. The plan to total the bike was based entirely on the total of the cosmetic damage to the parts/accessories. I 'ate' the replacement cost of the two accessories that would have put it over the total limit, had the shop repair & replace the rest and have put ~35k on it since without any issues.

If it's the cost of something like the bags or whatever, I definitely consider eating the cost and saving the ride.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts