Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Registered
RED, 1975 Goldwing purchased new 8/75.. photo date 1980 in real life the Red was brighter.

YES,,, 4 years and 40,xxx miles. :)
by 3/1983 this bike had 89,000 miles and traded in for a New 83 Goldwing Aspencade.

again YES,, the AM/FM radio has a 8 track player.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
Take the check and I鈥檒l sell you this one cheap in perfect condition with clean title. Has a backrest which you now need and as a bonus you can ride it home down the CA coast to get out of the AZ heat.
I didn't hurt my spine, just so you know. I pulled (tore?) a few muscles in the back (RH) and they are 95% better now, would be 100% if i was as active as before the pand.

Next bike has to have EFI and likely 2010+ nothing less than 2008.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
btw

Here's the "Purgatory Portal" .......kind of scary actually... (my bike at the auction center, the listing has begun) it's like a window into Hell... lol

Registered
VTXArizona great you recovered from your accident and want to continue riding. Now making the choice to repair or replace your bike. It's sounds like you want to stay with a VTX. Rebuilding and doing the work yourself will take time. Any used ones in your area? Other VTX members what would you do if you had to make this choice? Go with the same bike you had or move on to a different make and mode.
You will always have your memories of that one.Buy another one and make it yours and make some new memories.glad you are ok.ride safe

Registered
Sorry about your crash. I appreciate you telling us, because what happened to you could happen to me. Those islands are something to keep in mind when riding though open parking lots. The frame doesn't look like it is damaged much, but in one of the photos there appears to be a drop of liquid on the frame near the top of the image. Is it oil? Could something else be damaged? I'd take the money and buy another used VTX.

Registered
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Sorry about your crash. I appreciate you telling us, because what happened to you could happen to me. Those islands are something to keep in mind when riding though open parking lots. The frame doesn't look like it is damaged much, but in one of the photos there appears to be a drop of liquid on the frame near the top of the image. Is it oil? Could something else be damaged? I'd take the money and buy another used VTX.
I like to give the whole story, it's a real education about what happens if you damage your fully insured bike, beginning to end. I know this thread is going on forever, sorry to anyone sick and tired of it. I wouldn't mind if the thread was now locked so it could serve as a guide to folks who get in crashes.

It helped me to talk it out too, i live alone, we have a Pand going on etc. No wife or family to "bounce" all this off of..

No, it wasnt Oil or any fluid in that pic, it was a combo of road paint and frame primer. Nothing leaked on the bike, i'm an eagle eye when comes to leaks, like a cat that notices mice type thing. I see the sense in getting another VTX, everything i have fits the VTX and i know the bike. Right now i am a little repulsed with the thought though, serves as a stark reminder of what happened (accident). They're tough bikes, mine took a hard punch.

We'll see what happens the story is pretty much told now.

Registered
VTXArizona,

You cannot close this thread until it is completed by you !

You need to make the "decision time" post in this thread to conclude it. 馃ゴ馃槑馃嵒

I have enjoyed reading thru it and await what your decision is.

Good luck with you decision. 馃憤

Reactions: SUMDATX and RBS

Registered
If you are already thinking about a faring, I wouldn't go for a Roadking. I would be looking for models that come with them, like a Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide or Limited.

I think Harley's have a very nice OEM faring setup, many can use upgrades, but they are much nicer than adding an aftermarket later.

When I make the jump to HD, it will be one of these models, based on how much money I have to spend.

Registered
@VTXArizona I think you got a great deal from the insurance co for $7800. You can get another comparable VTX for half that. Mine with 15k miles was under $3k, but I had to rebuild the carb. By the way, not sure were you are in AZ (guessing El Mirage?), but I'm in the North Valley and we have a group of riders that head out regularly. Let me know if you want to connect after you get a new bike!

Registered
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
couldn't believe it, i get a letter from my insurance that i should cancel the motorcycle policy now, it also said "sorry you lost your bike" (nice touch).

Anyway, so i called them at 11:45pm, just a little while ago. Got an agent. :oops:
They are going to send me a refund for the unused portion of my policy back to 5-14, day after the accident date. $125.00 being refunded (policy was for only $197). :oops: Couldn't believe it, i expected the call to be just a formality of closing the account/policy.
Thought it was amazing, i almost feel guilty for how nice they have been to me (must be my Catholic upbringing:sneaky:) :D .

Registered
馃憤 Nice they contacted you. Now you have an extra $125 to put towards a new ride too.

What insurance company. Sounds like a pretty good company the way the dealt with you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
馃憤 Nice they contacted you. Now you have an extra $125 to put towards a new ride too.

What insurance company. Sounds like a pretty good company the way the dealt with you.
Progressive

Been insured with them for 20 years and 8.5 years with motorcycles, never a claim except roadside assistance.
Emerald Level (their rating), Zero Deductable (shrinking deductible). So my record might have had something to do with it, they may have done a soft inquiry and saw 808. Fast tracked me.

I blew it in one area though.... the middle agent (the guy who tells you what the settlement offer is and why) had first told me the payout amounts and i was immediately stunned and enamored... then he told me i was "under insured" and i did not pick up on that.
Good chance, if i had then said, "how much was i under insured? Or how much did the loss actually add up to it i may have been able to swap the OEM (which i still have) for the mustang seat and still get the same payout amounts. SO... it was NOT a "perfect deal". He hit me with the stun gun when he told me 7.2k, the effects cost me $350. :sneaky:

61 - 77 of 77 Posts