Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I want to go to Sturgis this year. In the interest of time and my butt, we were strongly considering trailoring our bikes for most/part of the way (washington DC to Sturgis - 1600+ miles!). neither of us have a truck, so I was wondering if there were trucks we could rent that would allow us to load up two bikes on the back. One place will rent us Ford 150 and another will rent us a Chevy Colorado or Dodge Dakota.

I have a 1300R and my buddy has a Road King. Does anyone think our two bikes will fit in the beds of any of these trucks? Is there another place that people have rented from that has trucks that will fit two bikes? Perhaps a cargo van with no seats?

We are thinking about just trailoring mid-way there and enjoying more riding and less boring highway butt-numbing riding...

If we don't go to sturgis, then I'll have a hotel reservation in sturgis that someone can have :)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seems like you are talking about 2 things (trailering and putting the 2 bikes in the bed of one of the above mentioned trucks). I have trailered 5K miles or more and in my humble opinion you couldn't put one of those bikes in the Colorado or Dakota. You might get one in the F150. You could put 2 on a trailer (depending on the trailer, and if you are good at puzzles) and pull the trip you are talking about with F150 and maybe with the Dakota if it has 8 cyl. engine. The Colorado has a 5 cyl. engine and doubt it could pull (at least not to suit me). Have a safe trip. Always wanted to go, just too far for me. We have what we call a Lil' sturgis here in Ky.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i haul a 1300r and a 1300c in a 6x10 trailer with little room to spare.maybe a u-haul truck might work for u.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Could you haul one bike at a time and ride the other one? Then you would only have to fit one bike in the truck at a time...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
125 Posts
My suggestion would be to look into if the rental place will allow you to hook up a trailor. If so put one bike in the bed and one on a rented U-Haul trailor (or trailor from a local rental place). As long as you are going to return the rented equipment to the same place you shouldn't have a problem. I know I rented a truck once to haul a bike for a friend who had moved and could bring it at that time and had to cut the bed liner to get access to the tie downs.

I also just got back from Sturgis where we pulled 3 VTX's in a trailor and one in the bed of the F-150. The only problem was we couldn't go over 65mph. So I don't think 2 in a 150 should be a problem.

Good luck and have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.