Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, sorry to start off with a problem.

I have a 07 VTX 1300C with under 7,000 miles. It has been sitting with 3/4 tank of gas for about 2 yrs. I siphoned as much as I could of the gas out, put in about 1 1/2 gallons of new gas, I put in new spark plugs (got info from here) and it still just turns over but will not start. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm willing to try pulling the tank and attempting to fool with the carb. Youtube and here have helped me out soo far. Please any help or advice (if you know of a good reputable mechanic in my area) would be appreciated. My bike sat up due to conplications with my back, but now I want to ride.

Macon Ga is my location.

·
Registered
28,512 Posts
Start with the the simple, inexpensive stuff.
Do you have spark?
Are you getting fuel?
Air cleaner dirty?

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
Remove seat, remove tank hold down bolt, Lift fuel tank some to remove air filter.
At bottom of carb bowl is a drain. Remove screw.
Remove gas line from petcock. Put a vacuum on the petcock and hold vacuum, let whatever run out until it smells like gas.
Then re-connect gas line to carb to see it if comes out at the carb bowl.
Spray some carb cleaner into bowl drain if nothing comes out.
May have to spray some carb cleaner into fuel hose if the float is stuck.
A link to a SM to download.. Ignore the electric fuel pump, that was for 2003 only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with the the simple, inexpensive stuff.
Do you have spark?
Are you getting fuel?
Air cleaner dirty?
Thanks for responding....I have no idea how to begin for 1 and 2. The air cleaner i blew out when I changed the spark plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove seat, remove tank hold down bolt, Lift fuel tank some to remove air filter.
At bottom of carb bowl is a drain. Remove screw.
Remove gas line from petcock. Put a vacuum on the petcock and hold vacuum, let whatever run out until it smells like gas.
Then re-connect gas line to carb to see it if comes out at the carb bowl.
Spray some carb cleaner into bowl drain if nothing comes out.
May have to spray some carb cleaner into fuel hose if the float is stuck.
A link to a SM to download.. Ignore the electric fuel pump, that was for 2003 only.
Thanks for responding, I'm not mechanically gifted, but I did change out all 4 plugs, blew out the air filter.(felt good to do that :) I saw fuel squirt from the lil nozzle while turning throttle when I had air filter off.

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
When your spark plugs were out, if you would have put the wire back on and the shell against the cylinder and cranked it over you may have seen a spark. The bolt on cylinder head fins are mounted on small rubber insulators, should still see a spark. May have to stick a screwdriver between fake fins to cylinder.. Time does things to some electrical connections but by far the fuel is the issue. A squirt from the accelerator pump--stick your finger there and twist the throttle a few times.
Does it smell like gas??? You need good fresh gas, that is why you should drain the carb bowl. I have a 1300 Service Manual on FB. I provided a link earlier.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts