Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my 2004 VTX 1300C 2 weeks ago in a minor accident. I picked the bike up, started it and road home. I connected the bike to the battery tender when I got home as I always do. Today I tried to start the bike for the first time since the accident and... nothing. Lights turn on, and all signals work but when I hit the starter it does nothing. The bike is in neutral, kickstand has been up and down, the petcock is on and the emergency kill switch is on. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
64,789 Posts
My first thought would be the battery. Take it to Autozone or Napa and have them load test it. A battery can accept a charge, power up certain things but if a cell or two is bad, it can't turn over and engine.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Kill switch in RUN position???
Bottom of switch flush with the switch cover??
A connector may have come loose. Battery cable could be loose.
A quick test, verify tranny in Neutral-- use a screwdriver bridge Battery + to Starter motor cable. The two big cables.
A few arcs and sparks and you should have starter motor running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm still not sure what was wrong... A friend helped me try to jump start with his Boulevard and also with some booster cables and nothing happened. An hour later I tried to start it again and it sputtered and finally turned over and started up. Now it starts up with no issues. Gremlins? Maybe the bike just needed a little more rest after the accident. Anyway, long story short she is fully operational and I'm back on the road. Thanks for the input from everyone.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
I'm still not sure what was wrong... A friend helped me try to jump start with his Boulevard and also with some booster cables and nothing happened. An hour later I tried to start it again and it sputtered and finally turned over and started up. Now it starts up with no issues. Gremlins? Maybe the bike just needed a little more rest after the accident. Anyway, long story short she is fully operational and I'm back on the road. Thanks for the input from everyone.
You posted on someone else's thread. Blacsteel and Brian Bates are not the same..

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Okay. A connector may have popped loose. Sometimes a connector may not have been latched completely. The connector on top of the Starter Relay-- has a 30 amp fuse which provides power to the IGN switch.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Check the wiring under the frame closely. For what it's worth, I was running -1 cylinder without realizing it was the cause of my performance and mileage issue until an eagle-eyed friend notices the scorch marks on the underside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts