Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for sometime now but never posted. There is a ton of knowledge here so I thought I ask you all for some advice. I have run into an issue that I cant figure out. Basically my bike (2007 VTX1300R) isnt starting after winter. Here is what was done to store it.

- The tank was filled with gas
- bike was stored in carport/covered
- battery was NOT put on tender. (not my choice- but unfortunately being away it was not done.)

Back in nov/15, 4 days after my last ride, I tried to start it up and it would not start, as if the battery was dead.

Fast forward to now. Beginning of March, I put the battery on tender. It charged fully overnight. I put the battery back in and try to start it up. It tries to start and makes the sound it normally does to turn over but it cant. Lights turn on at this point. I tried with choke on many times. Eventually the battery runs out. So I think that its the battery. I charge it up a bit again and take it to local hardware store the next day. The auto section tests the battery and tell me that the battery is good.

So I am thinking its the spark plugs. I always used a choke to start. All fuel lines have been checked. Nothing is pinched. I have ordered spark plugs and going to change them this weekend.

Do you guys think I am on the right track?

Thanks in advance for your input.

- Paul

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
Take it to Napa or Autozone and have a car parts store load test the battery. I will bet the battery is bad even though the hardware store says it's good. It may read good with a voltmeter, but put a load on the battery like when starting and the volts drop to near zero

Welcome to the board!
Your first 5 posts must be approved by a moderator before they will be put on the board. This is to help keep spammers off the forum. Please only post once and we will try to get it approved within a day or two. Thanks
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, Air,Fuel,Motors,....will answer most of the performance questions...
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder these links,
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/73-how-step-step/
This is the How To ; Step-by-Step board, and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX.
There is also a helpful Search button in the gray toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner titled "Search This Forum" click this then,
Click the “Advanced Search” button
Now, click "Search Single Content Type" and add you keyword to search
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board!
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It sounds like a dirty carb issue. Did you use seafoam or something like that. Jets clogged, float stuck. My need to take the carb off and clean it really good. Also charge the battery with a regular charger then maintain it.:tools1:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

No stabilizer was put in. I have never used them and never needed to.

Found a video of a kawasaki ninja doing the same thing. Skip to 0.22 to hear the sound it makes when i try to start it up.

So to clarify: It tries turns over but doesnt start.

thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Have the battery load tested with at least 100 amps.
Clean the carb.

·
Registered
39,121 Posts
Might be a couple things going on. As suggested have the battery load tested.

If it's turning over but won't start, check your plugs.
You say you always use the choke, that could cause fouling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the replies guys!

Got the battery tested again yesterday at the local auto parts store. I told them everything and they tested at 100CCA. They said the battery is actually in really good condition. So its not the battery.

I quickly checked the vacuum line to the petcock. Seems intact.

Got new spark plugs yesterday. Will change them soon. How do I make sure I turn them to

Another point I should mention (i just remebered this yesterday). Last year, at the very end of winter, I saw some green fluid in the fins on the left side. I couldn't figure it out at that point and wanted to get to it but couldn't before I left for the winter. The only thing thats green is my coolant and the level seems to be good for that one. I am going to lift the tank up this weekend. Is there anything I should be checking there?

thanks for all the pointers guys.
Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update....

So I took the tank off.
Examined all hoses/ connections. Everything is intact like it should be. No pinching or loose connections.

Since I had already bought the spark plugs. I changed them. And boy did they need a change. They were pretty blacked out. I'll post a pic later.

After changing the spark plugs, I put the tank back on. Put all connections back up. Put the battery back in. Choke off. Give it some gas 2-3 times. AND IT STARTS!! I am super happy at this point. It runs for about 3 mins. And then it DIES!!!

I try to start it again and it sounded like battery had lost some of its juice. And every time I press start, battery depletes a little more until I just hear the starter going (grrrrr grrrrr grrrr).

Help me out here guys... Do u guys think it's a dead battery? I am going to the auto parts store again tomorrow to get the battery tested.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You are not getting fuel. If the battery was bad it wouldn't turn over.

Edit
Looking at the plugs, it seems like you are getting too much fuel. Will the bike run by spraying starter fluid in the carb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I should add that when it shut itself off, I realized that the fuel was at "OFF". So I turned it back on. Waited. Gave it some gas(2-3 times), tried to start and it wouldn't.

Thanks for the reply Vtxtugg... Any ideas why fuel may not be getting in?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gravity feed fuel. Let it sit for a minute, set it to reserve, do not use the choke, twist the throttle slowly 4 or 5 times, hit the starter button.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts