Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 VTX1800C has been in the garage for last 5 months. When I stored I put Stabil in the fuel so it would not go bad. Tried to start last week and old battery dead. New battery and now it only turns over and will not fire. I put new plugs and still just turns over. I took air filter off for a few attempts to ensure it was getting air. When I stored I waited about 3 weeks before I added Stabil...have done this before and it was fine. All of the fuses looked good, no leaking fuel lines. Checked the plugs and they are firing. I am not sure where to look next....seems like not getting fuel, not sure how to check. The pump does make the usual noise when I first click it to "run". Just turns over and does not act like it is trying to fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
+

Just want to add...old plugs looked like crap so I put brand new ones in. Thought maybe that was issue. Bike still just turns over, seems like not getting gas but I have no idea.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
put a charger on the battery
pickup some starter fluid, remove air cleaner, spray fluid in throttle body, try starting,
remove small hose for fuel pressure regulator and see if fuel is in small hose, common problem, regulator goes bad.

adding sta-bil a couple of weeks later is no big deal.

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
If you don't hear the fuel pump, do bother doing anything else. The fuel pump needs to be running and priming the fuel system. Starter fluid will make it start, but it won't run if there's no fuel pump. It will only start and die, start and die.

Do you have a PowerCommander on the bike? If yes, doe it have power, do the lights come on the PC3 when you turn the key to On?

If the PC3 is not on, your fuel pump will not run either.

Did you have the tank off the bike for any reason? Are the plugs under the tank connected good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't hear the fuel pump, do bother doing anything else. The fuel pump needs to be running and priming the fuel system. Starter fluid will make it start, but it won't run if there's no fuel pump. It will only start and die, start and die.

Do you have a PowerCommander on the bike? If yes, doe it have power, do the lights come on the PC3 when you turn the key to On?

If the PC3 is not on, your fuel pump will not run either.

Did you have the tank off the bike for any reason? Are the plugs under the tank connected good?
The tank was never off. The PC does light up. I do hear the pump prime. I will maybe pump out fuel and try all fresh. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
put a charger on the battery
pickup some starter fluid, remove air cleaner, spray fluid in throttle body, try starting,
remove small hose for fuel pressure regulator and see if fuel is in small hose, common problem, regulator goes bad.
adding sta-bil a couple of weeks later is no big deal.
by "small hose" is it the one under the tank that clamps on to the tank or is the regulator somewhere else?

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
regulator, left side, under gas tank, middle area,

page 5-4 on Honda manual. I think you could download it from here.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Is the "FI" light blinking any, may have some trouble codes stored..
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800 stuff/1800FIsystemdiagnosis.png

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums...on=view&current=1800nostarttroubshoot21-1.png

But since the ECM primes the pump, and you have fire, the "cam pulse generator" provides timing for the injectors(My guess-still researching). Check for fuel pressure/fuel flow. Loosen the fitting somewhere and check it..

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800 stuff/1800FIsystemdiagram.png

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800 stuff/1800fuse-switches.png

·
Registered
255 Posts
Could the solenoid need replacing? My friend had a similar problem (bike would only start if you touched a screw driver to both terminals on the solenoid). We replaced the solenoid and it ran perfectly after that.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
kill switch on ?? bike in neutral with stand down ?? i know stupid questions but wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
You need to perform the Ground fix. If that does not do it then verify fuel flow to injectors, check injectors for voltage. Check for ECM trouble trouble codes. A DMM(digital multi-meter aka voltmeter) is required.
Have you done any modifications to it since the last time it ran? Any wiring changes?
Any and all connectors could be suspect, oxidation causes opens.
A search for similar problems. Link below for insight on how to pursue a trouble. Even though it affected the ignition, good information.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?172036
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?205905-1800-Ground-Fix-by-Tapper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to perform the Ground fix. If that does not do it then verify fuel flow to injectors, check injectors for voltage. Check for ECM trouble trouble codes. A DMM(digital multi-meter aka voltmeter) is required.
Have you done any modifications to it since the last time it ran? Any wiring changes?
Any and all connectors could be suspect, oxidation causes opens.
A search for similar problems. Link below for insight on how to pursue a trouble. Even though it affected the ignition, good information.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?172036
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?205905-1800-Ground-Fix-by-Tapper
First off thanks for the replies. I have not done anything to the bike. I have had it for about 5 years and it always ran great. The FI light was never blinking. I emptied tank and replaced with fresh fuel. The bike still cranks but does not fire up. I will check the fuel pressure regulator and then the ground fix tommorrow for sure. I will post again if that works or not, I am counting on some people with much more knowledge than me on this bike lol

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
spark, fuel and air. Make sure you have all 3 :thumbup: I'm sure the air filter is good, make sure you have pressure to the fuel rails (loosen nut - 17mm) and turn pump on. To check spark remove plug wire from a plug and install another plug and ground to engine and crank to see spark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay guys, today I performed the ground fix. They all looked good before it though. The tank was emptied and has fresh fuel. The bike is in N, tried with kick stand up/down and clutch in/out, each time when I turn the kill switch on the fuel pump does prime. The starter then cranks the engine but it will not turn over. The air breather was off, throttle opening and unblocked. I put fuel in the TB and it'll fire to burn that off then die. The fuses seem to be good. The only thing I am thinking may be the Dyno Jet Power Command USBIII. I cannot remember but I believe it used to light up when key was on. It does not light up anymore. My computer said it was not communicating when I hooked up. The PC was there when I purchased, probably 8-9 years old. It is hard wired in so I need to find schematic to remove, no clue where to start. Before I risk tearing into this are there any other VTX C specific things that can cause no start? Also the vacuum line on pressure regulator was dry. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys, today I performed the ground fix. They all looked good before it though. The tank was emptied and has fresh fuel. The bike is in N, tried with kick stand up/down and clutch in/out, each time when I turn the kill switch on the fuel pump does prime. The starter then cranks the engine but it will not turn over. The air breather was off, throttle opening and unblocked. I put fuel in the TB and it'll fire to burn that off then die. The fuses seem to be good. The only thing I am thinking may be the Dyno Jet Power Command USBIII. I cannot remember but I believe it used to light up when key was on. It does not light up anymore. My computer said it was not communicating when I hooked up. The PC was there when I purchased, probably 8-9 years old. It is hard wired in so I need to find schematic to remove, no clue where to start. Before I risk tearing into this are there any other VTX C specific things that can cause no start? Also the vacuum line on pressure regulator was dry. Thanks.
+ I did check the power lead to the PC, all seemed good. Battery is charged and wrench tight.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yep, what spike said. When I turn the key my pc3 lights up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, what spike said. When I turn the key my pc3 lights up.
That is what I was starting to suspect. Had a friend come over and help me unhook the PC and uncobble the wire job that was done to it before I had it. Bike started up just fine now! Glad it was not something wrong with my bike. I am going to talk to Power Commander about maybe getting this thing fixed or something. Since my intake is stock is it okay to run it with no PC??? Only mod is Cobra Boulevard Slash Cut exhaust.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts