Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder the other day if anyone does Geocaching when they are out rideing.
maybe we should set up one for just bikers? just VTXOA? who knows it could be fun.

I think of the places I have gone and who might have been there a day, or week, or longer ahead of me.

What does everyone think?

The webpage for the Geocaching http://www.geocaching.com/

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
michael7276 said:
Kind of a treasure hunt of sorts, with a gps.
Copied from there page
"What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache. "

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I'd be in. I was way into orienteering back in my twenties, and I always carry a good compass to this day. I have not yet bought an electronic sat/nav unit but, something like this could change that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I did this with my boys and my father once. We all got into it. It was fun for the boys and I think it brought my dad back to his old Ranger school days.

I wouldn't mind setting a few around here in Michigan.

Keep in mind that the accuracy of the coordinates posted are directly related to the quality of the gps unit. So, in some cases it gets real interesting. The varience of gps could in some cases be a 10 -20ft circle even if you have a good one, the one that set the cache may not be as accurate. Some hints should be left with the coordinates.

Like Matt said. Take gift leave gift. Don't show up at a cach empty handed and take somethig with you. It's an on-your-honor game.

Some places have a ledger sign in and leave a little note. Those are also sometimes interesting.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone think we should just use the established page? or should we try and start our own? with more of a biker theme? ride bells? and other suff.

I think it would add a destination to some rides, or just a fun weekend game. ;-) maybe do something with out a gps? like just give clues for places we might stop?

·
Registered
886 Posts
MattFidaho said:
anyone think we should just use the established page? or should we try and start our own? with more of a biker theme? ride bells? and other suff.

I think it would add a destination to some rides, or just a fun weekend game. ;-) maybe do something with out a gps? like just give clues for places we might stop?
It would be cool if we could get a board on this forum.
If not, then our own page with a biker theme.

gps and directions for those who want to use a compass for orienteering.

That's what I think.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Sounds very interesting! It would be neat to try to find the little hidden treasure whether you take it and replace it or just revel in the fun of finding it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For Veterans

Our association has several brothers very much into this, in fact I don't know how they find the time to eat, if they're not on the scoot they are nose-deep in the little computer doomaflitchie, it's for sure addictive!

·
Registered
167 Posts
sometimes very interesting in the cage, could really be fun on the x. i will try it this weekend if i can get away. just pick coordinates and let the zumo pick the ride.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've done it a few times, and I love it. I used my old garmin V, but now my wife has "pack up" the software and cables to it, and I can't find them, so now it's useless. I would love to see this get started here. I think there are even a couple of caches located on the Dragon.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Yep....did a lot of geocaching at one time......havent done so many this or last year.....I have even placed one 3 stage cache near my neck of the woods....

I have planned bike trips around caches which is neat....as long as they are scenic caches versus dive-into-the-woods-type caches.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm not sure it would catch on with the biker crowd.

I admit it was fun for a while when I did it, but if you're not with a kid who enjoys it, it may just end up being frustrating.

Not sure how many people would want to get off the bike and go into the woods to find buried treasure. Some were really hard to find and took some time. When I stop on a bike ride, I just want to relax, eat and get to riding again.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Count me in....it's a blast whether biking, hiking, or caging it. Sure beats bar-hopping....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Cajundude said:
Count me in....it's a blast whether biking, hiking, or caging it. Sure beats bar-hopping....
+1

As a biker I would try to put them in places another biker would appreciate going. Some nice scenic rest stop or a historical marker or a biker friendly restuarant. There are alot more things you can do with this than put them in a tree trunk 50 meter in the woods.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RedVTXRider said:
Cajundude said:
+1

As a biker I would try to put them in places another biker would appreciate going. Some nice scenic rest stop or a historical marker or a biker friendly restuarant. There are alot more things you can do with this than put them in a tree trunk 50 meter in the woods.
I agree, A "Biker cache"
I was thinking about it when I was rideing today, before the beer pic. ;-) and maybe ride bells with a number engraved, then we could track where it has been??? carry an extra just to trade at a cache.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I mentioned this to my wife last night. I had not heard of the whole geocaching thing . She nodded her head and gave me the "u-huh" and "huh" stuff that usaully comes when i talk about fishing,motorcycles or sports. On her lunch time today though she emailed me and said "Bid on this GPS on Ebay so we can ride and do the geocache thing"... :lol:
Bought a used Garmin GPS about an hour ago....so i guess i'll see if it's something we will like.

SiC

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SicTexVTX said:
I mentioned this to my wife last night. I had not heard of the whole geocaching thing . She nodded her head and gave me the "u-huh" and "huh" stuff that usaully comes when i talk about fishing,motorcycles or sports. On her lunch time today though she emailed me and said "Bid on this GPS on Ebay so we can ride and do the geocache thing"... :lol:
Bought a used Garmin GPS about an hour ago....so i guess i'll see if it's something we will like.

SiC
Thats too cool,
yeah make sure you let us know how it goes. I will be doing some this weekend and trying some ideas. for a biker one

1 - 20 of 35 Posts