Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode with a buddy for a couple hours and we stopped on the way home at a local grocer for fluids and film. There is a guy who works there who I have seen around town on a Honda scooter, and always with his full cover helmet. He is probably in his late thirties and mentally challenged. He bags groceries, retrieves carts and helps carry groceries from the store. A nice, helpful guy. He came up to us in the parking lot as we were getting suited up again to leave and was talking to us about our rides. He was really impressed and even knew mine was a VTX, which really surprised me. While talking, he said he always wanted a bigger bike but his parents would not let him get one because of all his problems. And then he said folks are always teasing him about his scooter, but he didn't care. I could tell he did. I told him I was proud of him for riding on two wheels when a lot of the folks that tease him have never been that brave. My bud told him it didn't matter what you rode as long as you were safe and you rode something. The guy was all grins and sat on both bikes with us for a couple minutes. He said he always wanted Joe Rocket stuff but Mom and Dad said he didn't need them for his bike. I started rooting around in my tank bag at about the same time my bud started fumbling around in his saddle bag. Almost simultaneously I gave him a Rocket Racing decal and my bud gave him a key fob from Harley Davidson. We talked to him for a little while and then he said he needed to get back in the store to work. We all said our goodbyes, and as the guy was walking away he turned and said "Thanks Bikers," and went in to work. I have never seen myself in that light, but clearly to this man it is a good thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your kindness will be re-paid someday.
Parents taught me a long time ago, no matter what physical or mental challenge a person faces, remeber, they didn't ask to be that way. Your conversation and generocity made him feel every bit as "normal" as you and I. Great story....

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Way to go dude. That was totally cool of you guys. 8)

·
Registered
483 Posts
NW:
You made my night.
Joe

·
Registered
248 Posts
That was very kind of you guys to spend time with the guy.

This past weekend I was riding not too far from Orlando and had to get some fuel. Found a little gas station off the interstate. As I was getting everything in order to fill up, I noticed a man coming out of the gas station. He was walking to his scooter parked neatly next to the curb when, he spotted me. Stowed whatever he bought under the seat, putted over to the other side of the pumps and proceeded to get gas as well. When I got a good look at him, I could tell he was a little bit special. With a big grin he kind of waves to me as we are both filling up. I smile and nod my head. Once finished, I walk inside to pay for the fuel and look out the window. The guy is sorta standing there near his scooter.... waiting. I gathered that he wanted to talk bikes, so I snagged a soda on the way out. I looked his ride over, he looked mine over. We talked about oil....and so on. By the time it was over, I had spent about 20 minutes chatting at the pumps with this guy. I could tell that it was a day maker for him. To tell you the truth, I think I got more out of it. This special individual, bless his heart, has a greater passion for riding than I think I will ever have. Kind of rubs off on ya. I enjoyed my trip 10 times more after I left that little gas station.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You badass bikers are all the same. :) I wish all those people that have a bad opinion of "bikers" could read this story. You should feel good about what you did.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Great story!! and it is not the bike that makes a biker but the individual. I have to agree with your new friend... you both are bikers. :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That was a much bigger & better thing you did than you realize right now, I think.
J & C

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
As a person who has an uncle that is "special" and seeing all my life how some jerks treat them, I don't mind tellin ya that I got a little teary eyed on that one, you guys rock.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
As a person who has an uncle that is "special" and seeing all my life how some jerks treat them, I don't mind tellin ya that I got a little teary eyed on that one, you guys rock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts