Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were talking the other night about some of the bugs we had hit while riding (like the wasp going down the front of my brothers shirt and stinging him 6 times before he could get him out) :D We also got to wondering what it must be like to take a shot to the head when you hit a bird. (can you tell we were drinking?) My brother hit a quail back in the 70's but it only contacted his headlight. I was wondering if any of you guys have had worse experiences. Or know of any?

·
Registered
846 Posts
No birds, but the second time I was on a motorcycle (ever), I got a bee up in my helmet that stung me on the cheek. You should have seen me! I was swerving all over the place. If a cop would have seen me, I would have been pulled over for suspected drunk driving... :oops:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bird Bashing

Hit a bird with my right shin about 35 years ago. I was doing 50 or so, something startled him, and he flew out of the grass to the right and hit me at about a 45-degree angle just over my boot but below the knee. I was wearing jeans.

Didn't feel more than a quick tap. Like you'd had a light slap. After about 4-5 minutes, it was sore, but not great pain, or anything--less than banging my shin on a coffee table. Bruised up some interesting colors in the days to come.

Went back and looked and found the bird dead. Looked like a medium-sized crow or blackbird. Black, about the size of a Blue Jay. Not smashed, or anything, intact, but dead.

I suspect at 80 it would be a completely different story.

·
Registered
280 Posts
bird/bike connection.....
i was doing about 40, in a tree lined boulevard, when I caught in my periphery this bird swooping down. ( im guessing to get something off the road) and there is no doubt there is going to be a bird/bike connection, as tuck my head tight inside to my windshield.
i hear this WHACK, and pull my head up.
I see this lady in an SUV beside me, and she has the best "WTF was that all about" look on her face.
I smile.
It all happened in seconds
No damage, but i did keep a lookout for dogs, cats and squirrel, thinking to myself what i did i do today to deserve a kamikazee bird.

for the record, i didnt hit the bird, the bird hit me....

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Caught a bird right in the stomach going 55 or so, didn't hurt to bad but scared the you know what out of me and left small bruise. Had one explode on impact ...lol...right into the mirror. And the big one was a buzzard that i just knew was going to move but didn't. Hit me in the chest,arm and face. Nearly knocked me off and left a good size bruise on my upper arm, probably moveing 40 or so.

Taken a few june bugs at highway speeds, and man those hurt. Like little rocks. Pulled over after a good strike to the forhead at 70 mph once and let a few expletives fly...

www.kingdomriders.org

www.cmatexas.org

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Watched a buddy take a direct shot to the outside of his right thigh from a largish quail last year. It was on a 2 lane county road and we were getting on the gas pretty hard, about 55 and accelerating, and the quail just blew outta the ditch to his right and nailed him right in the leg. I was about 5 yards back and saw it happen. The bird was intact although throughly dead, and my buddy told me the next day his leg was black and blue from hip to knee. :roll: 8)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I hit a bird last year going around 50 - 55. Two birds flying together crossed the road right in front of me. One when high and the other went right into my leg. Didn't hurt me but I'm not sure about the bird!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My brothers ex girlfriend on her motorcycle, was riding behind this guy she knew at just about dusk. They just got up to speed, 70 mph on a major highway in Eastern Massachuesetts when this pheasent few in from the outside shoulder and hit this guy square in the face. Knocking him backward off the bike and landing on top of his head killing him instantly. They were never able to determine if it was the impact of the pheasent or when he hit the road that broke his neck. She said it appeared he never saw the bird.
One of those, wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
BluesRuleVTX said:
My brothers ex girlfriend on her motorcycle, was riding behind this guy she knew at just about dusk. They just got up to speed, 70 mph on a major highway in Eastern Massachuesetts when this pheasent few in from the outside shoulder and hit this guy square in the face. Knocking him backward off the bike and landing on top of his head killing him instantly. They were never able to determine if it was the impact of the pheasent or when he hit the road that broke his neck. She said it appeared he never saw the bird.
One of those, wrong place at the wrong time.
Wow! I was going to tell the story about the time I ran throuh a swarm of bees and my girlfriend got bug guts on her forehead...but never mind! :shock:

·
Registered
217 Posts

I only got a bee in my full face (had a sport bike at the time), didn't sting me, but scared the shit out of me. Never a bird.

Lot of fun reading this thread though.
:)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Re: .

SERPAGS said:
I only got a bee in my full face (had a sport bike at the time), didn't sting me, but scared the :cus: out of me. Never a bird.

Lot of fun reading this thread though.
:)
I hit a bird with my windshield years ago, on my old Shadow. I was going abou 75 MPH, and it flattened him. I felt the impact, but had no problem controlling the bike. That's another reason I wouldn't consider riding without a windshield.

Eddie

·
Registered
550 Posts
What are the odds?

In 40 years of driving a car, (about 1/2 a million miles) I can only recall hitting one bird, (a sparrow or something). Yet 2 years ago, I took a bird hit in the left leg between ankle and knee at about 50 mph. Knocked my leg off the footpeg. Man that smarted. Curiously no bruise developed.

Also, in 40 years of driving, I've only been minorly rear ended once and have had maybe 3 or 4 somewhat scary close calls. Never hit a deer or other animal and no other accidents. I'm a defensive driver by desire and training as I was a driving instructor for a time in my twenties. Also rode my Honda 450 Nighthawk for 15 years with nothing more than a few insect strikes although, like Eddie, I've always used a windshield.

However, since I took up riding again 3 years ago on a Cruiser, I've been hit by a bird, had an older lady pull out in front of me (I've been half expecting this type of incident as it is such a common tale on the internet) but most bizarre of all, last summer with my wife on board, we had a runaway pickup truck briskly back out in front of us. Fortunately, I'd already expressed to my wife that I wasn't sure if this guy was going to stop and had the brakes covered but there was traffic coming in the other direction as well and I figured they'd see either us or the oncoming driver and stop. As the distance closed, I gasped, "Holy $hit!, he's not stopping" and hammered both front and back brakes. Back end came partially around (I know, don't panic. Yeah right! Easy to say, not so easy to do when the situation presents itself) and my 5'2" wife actually touched her foot on the ground from the pillion seat as we came to a halt with the bike going over. A million things go through your head in an instant. My wife's safety, damaging my pristine bike, etc. etc. I thought, "Not today, you son of a b----" and with a mighty heave managed to save it (this is one time that I know for sure, if I'd been riding an 1800 VTX instead of the 1300, there's no way I could have saved it due to it's top heaviness). Then we had a good look at the truck rolling by as it was only about a foot away and saw there was nobody inside. The guy in the oncoming lane nearly tee-boned it as it continued to roll on into his path. The owner came running down the street screaming, "O my Gawd, are you guys O.K.?" She was more shaken up than we were at that instant. We just shook our heads in disbelief at her stupidity, cracked the throttle and roared off for about a mile. As the adrenalin wore off (man I hate the taste of that stuff) and the shakes took over, we pulled off, sat under a shade tree for about a half hour and contemplated the situation and whether we were going to change our underwear before we got home. We even had a bit of a laugh about it and offered a prayer of thanks but ended up cancelling our plan to visit the destination we'd been riding to and went home instead. We hardly spoke for 50 miles home as we each searched our souls.

So let's see. In three years and only about 15,000 miles of riding Cruisers, I've encountered one bird strike, one incident that I've been kind of expecting to happen (and keep an eye out for all the time), and one bizarre encounter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We were fortunate to be luckier than the person further up this thread. Hmm! If we didn't love motorcycling so much, we'd probably give it up. NOT! There's no doubt that it can be a dangerous passtime though.

Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I had an unusual experience I though I would share. First let me tell you that I have been stung by Bee’s many times while riding. I’ve been stung in the neck, ear, back and armpit.
We (wife and I) were returning from a short 190-mile trip. I don’t ride with a windshield, so bugs to the face are common. Out of the corner of my eye I see it coming. I dodge my head sideways, too late bug hit and sticks inside my right nostril! I blow out my nose and dislodge the bug and at the same time feel this excruciating pain. Yes I’ve been stung inside my nose! Now let me tell you that it hurts like #ell! My right eye starts to tear so bad I can barley see. The wife realizes something’s wrong and keeps asking if I am all right. I can’t find a place to pull off the rode so I continue to drive for what seems like forever while my nose feels like it’s on fire and my eye tears blinding me. I finally turn off on a side street and hop off the bike. I look in the mirror and I see the stinger still stuck inside my nose. I’m dancing around trying to contain myself and the wife gets the fun job of pulling the stinger out from inside my nose. After about 15 minutes or so the burning sensation starts to subside and we were able to continue the rest of our trip home.
Fortunately I am not allergic to bee stings!
Bee’s Suck!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hit a Dove on a dirt bike doing about 45 mph, took it in the face shield. I was wearing a 3/4 helmet with a half shield that snapped on. Ripped the face shield off and pulled helmet back on my head, nearly knocked me off the bike. Went and picked the face shield up it was busted with blood and feathers stuck in the plastic. Found the dead bird a few minutes later.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just got my first confirmed kill this past Sunday. My friend and I were on our way back from Harpers Ferry when two bogies appeared at my 11:00. The one over shot, the second clipped my left kurykan mirror spinning it about 2 revolutions ( I was doing 80). The enemy tried to gain control only to be nailed by the transport unit behind me. My wingman saw it all. He states he ran through the cloud of feathers. That bird was a worthy opponent. I wish him well. :twisted:

·
Registered
417 Posts
bird strike

I got one to the left ribs a few years ago. Hit like a baseball. I just continued on, sucker problem did not have insurance anyway.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Years back....dirt bike (Miaco 460). Just popped out of some trails onto a dirt fire road. Dropped the goggles to around my neck for some fresh air....hammered it to about 50 (guessing...no spedo) and glanced back to see if bro was keeping up and as I turned back forward...SMACK. Bird in the face...nice cut by the right eye (beak?) and a black eye for a week! Luckily stopped instead of crashing....shook it off and rode home......not a fun experience!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, that bee up the nose makes mine hurt. I haven't had the experience of yetting a bird yet but in one 260mi trip, I had three close calls in one day. First a turkey is startled from the road side and flew right past my head. Next a dog runs a straight b-line for my front tire while I'm slamming down the brakes. At the last second, he pauses as I shake the crap out of my pants. Lastly, at a gas station, as I pull around a pump, a woman starts backing up full speed. I hit the brake so fast, I killed the engine. As I'm trying to run the bike backwards and losing the race, a man yells to the woman to stop. Whew! that was close. I tugged my tail and went straight home. I think the planets were in alignment that day.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You guys that hit the Quail,Doves and Pheasants.

Did you think to take the home and roast them?

As much as I have hunted them,I think I would have had them
for supper.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've only hit one bird. Took it in the chest. Startled me, but didn't hurt at all. I was going about 45-50. I have had a few bees, after the first sting I usually manage to squash them inside my coat or shirt.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts