Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps off-topic to the VTX1300 forum, but I've been struggling with finding the right helmet. I love to ride with a half-helmet - breeze in your face. But I know in the event of an accident I'm likely to get my chin scraped off on the pavement. Apparently, there are no street helmets that offer chin protection yet are open to that breeze on your face. I can flip up the visor on my full-face Arai, but this is only good for slower speeds. My full-face off-road bell helmet that I use for ATVing is the most comfortable helmet I own. But I don't think my riding bud's would tolerate me using a off-road helmet and I'm not sure what protection it would offer in a high speed crash.

So I went looking on the internet and found this helmet:

http://www.racing-stuff.com/images/bells2r08.jpg

It may be designed for closed car racing, but I think it would offer alot more protection than the half helmet that I choose to ride with now.

1) Looks somewhat cool.
2) Offers chin protection
3) Offers lots of ventilation up front. No fogging. No glare.
4) Allows me to use my prescription goggle-sunglasses.
5) Doesn't quite look like a OFF-ROAD helmet and isn't common that people would identify it as a race car helmet.

I'm I a trend setter or am I just wacked?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Perhaps off-topic to the VTX1300 forum, but I've been struggling with finding the right helmet. I love to ride with a half-helmet - breeze in your face. But I know in the event of an accident I'm likely to get my chin scraped off on the pavement. Apparently, there are no street helmets that offer chin protection yet are open to that breeze on your face. I can flip up the visor on my full-face Arai, but this is only good for slower speeds. My full-face off-road bell helmet that I use for ATVing is the most comfortable helmet I own. But I don't think my riding bud's would tolerate me using a off-road helmet and I'm not sure what protection it would offer in a high speed crash.

So I went looking on the internet and found this helmet:

http://www.racing-stuff.com/images/bells2r08.jpg

It may be designed for closed car racing, but I think it would offer alot more protection than the half helmet that I choose to ride with now.

1) Looks somewhat cool.
2) Offers chin protection
3) Offers lots of ventilation up front. No fogging. No glare.
4) Allows me to use my prescription goggle-sunglasses.
5) Doesn't quite look like a OFF-ROAD helmet and isn't common that people would identify it as a race car helmet.

Because you asked...my first impression is that it is an off-road helmet, or that you have 4 wheels under you somehow.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Maybe if you took off the visor it wouldn't look so off-road, but to me it looks like an off road helmet as is.. Nice for a quad, though!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Get rid of the visor that's on it and put on a standard visor that most folks use and I think it would look a lot better. Just has the off-road look like it is. just my .02 :tools:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
You should buy it and wear it all the time.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would buy it and wear it. I like the visor. I don't like the sun shining in my eyes. And I wouldn't care what others think. Just like I don't care what others think when I ride in t-shirt and shorts.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Of the ten or fifteen extra things on my bike none are there for looks, except maybe the fender tips. All comfort and function stuff. I say that because my helmet is the same way, so I wear a half helmet. It fits, feels great for me, and offers a degree of protection. I know what chances I am taking, but it is my choice.

As others said, wear the helmet that fits you and makes you feel good about it.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Is it DOT approved? Can't find a writeup on it.
Any helmet made by Bell is going to be DOT, and most are also SNELL. Bell helmets are among the finest ever made, although admittedly the company is not what it once was, mostly due to the fact that competition has caught up. I have two Bell helmets, both less than three years old, and the quality is 1st class.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO you should wear what you are comfortable and safe with. I have a Scorpion XO. It's their top of the line and I know from personal experience that they offer superb protection. As for the wind in the face thing, I have ridden with my shield up at 90+ on the interstate and had no problem with "pull back" from the wind. Of course I have a windshield too and that helps. I wear glasses but the Scorpion has an inner visor that flips down with the touch of a lever on the left side of the helmet. The visor is tinted about as dark as normal sunglasses and offers good glare protection. Bad thing about the Scorpion is the price. Mine was right at 400.00. But I know it offers protection in a crash. nuf said.8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The model is Bell S2R and being that it is for closed car racing it is not DOT approved. It is Snell SA2005 certified which is a stricter requirement than the motorcycle equivalent (i.e. fire retention, rollover). My state that I live in (colorardo) and surrounding states do not require a helmet so the DOT certification is not a must. Here are some more pics, still not convinced that it looks totally off-road.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/334046/ShowThread.aspx

I did my part to stimulate the economy and just orderd one. I'll post a review of the helmet when I receive it.

G

·
Well you can't be a trendsetter unless you wear something and others pick up on it.

With the visor off, it' won't look so " off-roadish ".

Couldn't you just remove the visor from the ARAI ?

One thing I did notice, it has no rear venting to allow for air flow thru. Might get warm in the summer.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Like others have said, if you like it then go for it. Now that I've looked at it a few more times, I think it looks like a racecar or motorcycle helmet with an offroad visor on it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ROFLAL, that's funny! Really, I have 3 different helmets and wear each of them when they suit MY needs. Come to think of it, I don't try to look like anyone else I ride with and rarely do. It's your head, your style, and I do hope it sets a trend!:thumbup:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Couldn't agree more...

And since it's not exactly the coolest looking cruiser helmet around, it really would be a birth control helmet. Abstinence is the best abatement, no?:thumbup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Think I'll take my chances on my chin.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts