Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Fairly new to this site. Recently purchased a vtx retro 1800. I'm not very experienced at mechanical stuff or painting, but I really wanted to make this bike mine, and do the work myself. I took the tank, fenders, and side covers off, preped them and painted them flat black (pics to come), and I thought about painting my heat shields flat black too with some high temp (1200 degree) paint, so I grabbed the prep cleaner, sand paper, and got to work. I got it cleaned, and sanded, and I was in love. the chrome all dull. It looked HARD. I didn't know if I was crazy, if it was the paint fumes or what, but I am seriously considering leaving the heat shields like that, and possibly doing my tips like that as well. And maybe other chrome peaces./ Anyone do this? any corrosion problems? I would love some input and advice. Thanks to all!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
afalmlen said:
Hey everyone. Fairly new to this site. Recently purchased a vtx retro 1800. I'm not very experienced at mechanical stuff or painting, but I really wanted to make this bike mine, and do the work myself. I took the tank, fenders, and side covers off, preped them and painted them flat black (pics to come), and I thought about painting my heat shields flat black too with some high temp (1200 degree) paint, so I grabbed the prep cleaner, sand paper, and got to work. I got it cleaned, and sanded, and I was in love. the chrome all dull. It looked HARD. I didn't know if I was crazy, if it was the paint fumes or what, but I am seriously considering leaving the heat shields like that, and possibly doing my tips like that as well. And maybe other chrome peaces./ Anyone do this? any corrosion problems? I would love some input and advice. Thanks to all!!!
Lets see some pictures.
rick

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Exile's bikes are black and satin chrome. They get the satin finish by hand rubbing the chrome with Scotchbrite scouring pads. My hand's cramping already. As long as the metal doesn't show, it shouldn't rust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts