Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have installed my Papa's Down Under bracket and I've got the caliper back on. I am bleeding the rear brakes and HOLY CHIT is it being a pita. I have been at this now for 3 hours and I still can't get a solid pedal. Anyone have any tricks? I've got a 1 man bleed kit that has the hose attached to the bleeder screw, up into a bottle so that it sucks fluid back in rather than air. I'm really at a loss here. On vehicles that I've had a hard time with I've done gravity bleeding, but the reservoir on the bikes is lower than some of the lines, which makes me think gravity bleeding wouldn't work.

Anyone have any other suggestions? 06 1300C if that matters.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bleed at the banjo bolt? If you can get the front up a little gravity might still work but would take a long time..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about tryin that, but I've got it up on a stand and I'm afraid if I tried something like that I'd drop it.

Whatever idiot decided to run the brake lines up on the backbone of the frame needs to be shot. They should have run them along the inside on the bottom of the frame. THEN, the reservoir and the caliper would be higher than the lines, rather than there being a couple of high points where air can hide.

STUPID HONDA ENGINEERS!!!

I think I'm gonna try to get a vacuum bleeder sometime this week if I can't get if figured out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
don't you have to turn the caliper so that it sits in it's 'stock' position so that the bleed screw is pointing up?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't you have to turn the caliper so that it sits in it's 'stock' position so that the bleed screw is pointing up?
Yes. The caliper needs to be positioned so that the bleeder screw is at the 12 O'clock position. This is how I have it set for bleeding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
down under bracket

Is there away to do this install with out having to bleeding the rear line. can u just pull the rear wheel to position the caliper bracket?

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Looks like a Sportser now :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. I have installed my Papa's Down Under bracket and I've got the caliper back on. I am bleeding the rear brakes and HOLY CHIT is it being a pita. I have been at this now for 3 hours and I still can't get a solid pedal. Anyone have any tricks? I've got a 1 man bleed kit that has the hose attached to the bleeder screw, up into a bottle so that it sucks fluid back in rather than air. I'm really at a loss here. On vehicles that I've had a hard time with I've done gravity bleeding, but the reservoir on the bikes is lower than some of the lines, which makes me think gravity bleeding wouldn't work.

Anyone have any other suggestions? 06 1300C if that matters.
Have you tried YouTube for bleeding brakes on vtx1300? There are several.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts