Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
15 August 2008 - 6423 Miles

I installed an auxiliary fuse panel and connected my Stebel Nautilus horn tonight!

It took me four hours tonight and about 2 hours last night to get the panel installed, the relays wired and installed and the horn connected.

Here are some photos of the install:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
XM Radio Antenna for Zumo 550

02 Jan 2009 - 7961 Miles

I just got an antenna for my Zumo 550 that will allow it to receive XM radio!

Photos will be posted soon!

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Metzler ME880s

22 Jan 2010 - 17,648 miles

I just had Metzler ME880s installed on front and back. Also had the brakes replaced, the oil changed, final drive oil changed, and the brake fluid changed.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Latest Maintenance

July 10, 2015 - 42,941 miles

New tires, front and back. ME880 on front and ME888 on back.
Changed fluids: Brake, Final Drive Oil, Engine Oil, and Coolant
Adjusted valves
Cleaned Air Box and filter
Changed Spark Plugs
Adjusted clutch and throttle cables
Replaced tire valve stems (dry rot)

I would like to say "I" did all that... but I don't know one end of the bike from another. I had all this work done by my favorite mechanic - "Rob" at http://www.westedgecycle.com/

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wish the pics still worked. :(

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Current Photo

Here's how she looks today:
Motorcycle1 - edited.jpg

Motorcycle3 - edited.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
New Accessory - Memphis Shades Lowers

November 3, 2015 - 45,356 Miles

I finally broke down and installed some Memphis Shades Lowers on my front forks. I am hoping that it will cut down on the wind coming up from in front of my tank and hitting me in the face!

I got the clear deflectors, so they won't be all that noticeable unless you look for them.

Photos will be posted soon.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Added new GPS (Garmin Zumo 590)

June 27, 2016 - 46,100 miles

I decided to upgrade my GPS to a newer model. I purchased a Garmin Zumo 590.

My older Zumo was having problems syncing with my helmet. This newer model syncs up with no problems and starts up a LOT quicker! :grin2:

I'm much happier with it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Added TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

April 27, 2017 48381 miles

Added two tire pressure transmitters that fit on the tire stem and transmits the pressure to the Garmin Zumo 590. Now I can monitor my tire pressure in real time. It even allows me to set a "Low Pressure Warning" and alerts me when the pressure reaches that level.

The only drawback is that the transmitters sleep shortly after the motorcycle stops (not sure how long... maybe an hour?) and will not transmit information until the wheels start moving again.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Servicing Log

June 17, 2017 - 49,589 Miles

Being as I am incredibly lazy and borderline incompetent with tools... I just took my bike to my favorite mechanic for servicing.

He gave it an oil change, checked the brake pads, checked the coolant level, replaced the brake fluid, and inflated the tires to proper pressure.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
You should "inflated the tires to proper pressure" before each ride!

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Buying new hard bags :(

:frown:

My LeatherLyke hard bags "died" on me. The right-hand bag broke around the forward mounting peg and was just hanging by the rear peg. So I had to take it off. Since it would look weird for my bike to have only one bag I took the left-hand bag off as well.

After looking for new LeatherLyke bags and finding their website to be down (not sure if it was temporary or if they went out of business) I decide to go with a different manufacturer.

I decided to go with the Viking Bags version:

https://www.vikingbags.com/lamellar-extra-large-shock-cutout-leather-covered-saddlebag-12231-prd1.htm

I will post photos as soon as I mount them :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Pre-trip Inspection

May 02, 2018 - 52,041 Miles

I just had my bike inspected by my favorite mechanic prior to going on my motorcycle trip to Louisiana.

All fluids checked and topped off.
Valve clearances were checked and adjusted as needed.
Lights checked for proper functioning
Tire treads and pressures checked.
Brake pads checked. Rear pads at 50%.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
July 30, 2020 - 62,700 Miles

CB added

I added a J&M CB Model: JMCB-2003K-SL Stereo Music/CB /Weather Radio Audio System. I'm going on a ride with a couple friends to Republic, WA and they have CBs mounted on their bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
August 01, 2020 - 63,010 Miles

My friends and I made it to Republic and have stopped for the night. I noticed that my radio will sometimes lose power for a second and then power up again. My bike actually lost all electrical power and the engine stalled while riding! That might be two unrelated incidents that just happened at the same time. I think the engine stall was because I needed to switch to my reserve tank, but I never lost all electrical power before when my fuel ran low. I might have a lose wire, or maybe my battery is dying? I think the battery is original equipment from 2007!

I'll continue my ride tomorrow and see if I experience any further issues.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
August 01, 2020 - 63,010 Miles

I did a quick check of the wiring, without tracing every inch. The connections at the ground and power points appear to be tight and making good contact. I will continue the ride and see if any further issues develop.

I started the bike after I did the quick, cursory check of the wires. The bike started right up like nothing was wrong. Hopefully, it was just gremlins that got past my Gremlin Bell.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
August 02, 2020 - 63,430 Miles

Well, I made it home, but it was a butt-clenching ride. I'm still having electrical issues. I did try turning off both of my accessories (Garmin GPS and J&M CB) and while they were off I did not experience any electrical issues and my bike ran normal.

My friends and I stopped in our home town for dinner. When I climbed back on the bike to ride home, I had my CB on and the engine was stuttering, acting like it was about to stall, then would race, then stutter. Finally after about 2 or 3 minutes the engine calmed down to it's normal purr. I turned the CB off and rode home.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
August 04, 2020 - 63,430 Miles

I finally accessed the battery area of my bike. I wanted to check the date on the battery to see if it is, in fact, original from 2007. I could not find a date on the top. The sides are down inside the battery well and I can't see the sides. I checked all the wires again and they still look good. No loose connections, no bare wiring, no melted insulation.

I checked the few maintenance files I have and cannot locate any entries that indicate the battery was ever changed. I will double check with my mechanic to see if he has any files indicating the battery was changed.

* Later on August 4*

I found out the battery was installed in 2014. That's better than 2007, but still probably too old to provide power to both my Garmin GPS and the J&M CB. So, I replaced the battery today. I will take her out for a test spin and see if I experience any electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
By the way...

August 05, 2020 - 63555 Miles

I just remembered to enter the results of the test ride the following day. Everything worked normal. No electrical hiccups. I guess the battery was just too old to maintain the current necessary for all the electrical demands on it.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
You said the key word 'current'. Or AMPS. A normal check can show 12+ volts, and one would assume it was fine, but if a cell or 2 are weak, and not able to meet amp draws, it's going to give you trouble.

Reactions: BobMador
21 - 40 of 44 Posts