Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about cutting down the rear fender on my 1300C. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how best to go about this?

I also have the dreaded 2004 frame tweak that makes the rear fender look slightly off center. Do you think this will make it stand out even more. If so, is there an easy way to fix this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds great Easy-E! do you have an extra 240 set up that you want to give a brother?
:D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
CROWE said:
I am thinking about cutting down the rear fender on my 1300C. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how best to go about this?

I also have the dreaded 2004 frame tweak that makes the rear fender look slightly off center. Do you think this will make it stand out even more. If so, is there an easy way to fix this?

Thank you in advance for your help.
I'm thinking of doing this myself... I absolutely hate the fender! Looks like a dirt bike fender :roll: I want to purchase Xchopper's 200/210 fender, but before I do, I might chop up the stock one to see what I can do with it. Post pictures if you do... Why don't you straigthen your fender out with flat washers on the struts before you cut it....?

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure there are some skilled craftsman on this forum that may have some suggestions.

Is the stock fender steel or fiberglass? should I tape over where I will be cutting to help avoid the paint chipping?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
CROWE said:
I am sure there are some skilled craftsman on this forum that may have some suggestions.

Is the stock fender steel or fiberglass? should I tape over where I will be cutting to help avoid the paint chipping?

Any advice is appreciated.
Do a search for "Carioca" -- he did it... looks pretty good too!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are a bunch of old posts on "chopping" the fender of a C. Personally, I just cut off the light/plate bracket assembly. I took off the fender and cut the assembly off with an air tool and grinding wheels, there are others that I believe that have cut it off with the fender on the bike with dremmel type tools. The fender is sheet metal, so you could cut it up any way you like, just find a new home for the plate, brake light and signal (should you choose to put them on).

I went with a side mount place, left the brake light alone, and mounted strips of LED to the lower edge of the fender as signals.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are a bunch of old posts on "chopping" the fender of a C. Personally, I just cut off the light/plate bracket assembly. I took off the fender and cut the assembly off with an air tool and grinding wheels, there are others that I believe that have cut it off with the fender on the bike with dremmel type tools. The fender is sheet metal, so you could cut it up any way you like, just find a new home for the plate, brake light and signal (should you choose to put them on).

Spray some anti-rust treatment on the spots where you've nicked the paint on the underside of the fender.

I've got an '04, but my fender is square, do I didn't have to go through the process of straightening.

I went with a side mount place, left the brake light alone, and mounted strips of LED to the lower edge of the fender as signals.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I have an extra fender if you need one to work on while you ride.

You WILL have to repaint the fender after cutting, so don't worry about tapeing it. I high speed cutting wheel should do the job. Don't rush the cut. take your time and you will be happier with the results.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
There's no hope for the C fender. I think if you cut it, it'll end up looking like the 1800 F fender, which is even worse. :?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
DonvtxC said:
There's no hope for the C fender. I think if you cut it, it'll end up looking like the 1800 F fender, which is even worse. :?
We do agree that ultimately, there is no hope for the C fender. But I personally think that the 1800F fender looks slightly better than the 1300C fender! They both look like dirt bike fenders, but the 1800F has less sheet metal, therefore less ugliness to look at.... on what must be the ugliest motorcycle rear fender ever built!!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Floodgates said:
DonvtxC said:
We do agree that ultimately, there is no hope for the C fender. But I personally think that the 1800F fender looks slightly better than the 1300C fender! They both look like dirt bike fenders, but the 1800F has less sheet metal, therefore less ugliness to look at.... on what must be the ugliest motorcycle rear fender ever built!!

Floodgates 8)
Yeah, you may have a point there. :?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your guidance. i may wait to do this in the winter. regardless, iwill keppyou all posted and will provide pictures and details when completed. again thank you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm with Sledman on this. If you just get rid of the license and lights, add a Radiantz wraparound signal, the fender doesn't look bad at all. My 2004 silver X has that set-up -- looks even better in red. Can't remember how to post pics, but I have pics of the silver version posted on my album on bigbikeriders.com.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts