Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my bike bogging down and sputtering when I put my feet on my highway pegs. It returns back to normal when I put my feet back. Figured it was something under my seat I was putting more pressure on to cause this. But I just can't seem to figure it out????????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks any ideas on preventing from putting pressure on the wires? Maybe putting and cross bar underneath?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked under the seat but I didn't see anything odd. Yes there is a aftermarket air intake

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
what about the main wires near the battery.. and seat is sitting on computer.. check sides of battery for wires.. something moving and pressing on wires or connectors..

this is NOT a common issue.. more to your bike ..

·
Registered
10,986 Posts
Loose battery cables? Check...
1300 ICM has two wires that break frequently.
The two most forward wires on ICM, Black wire or a Green wire.
The wire insulation break usually breaks at the rubber seal.
Difficult to see. Inspect carefully.
Remove seat, start engine, push/pull wires.

Carb/intake related could be a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
if it was not latched.

A rubber sock in the upper right side of picture, several connectors in there.
Check them..

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Take the air filter off try with your feet on the pegs if the bog goes away then you know its the air filter if its not dying this would be my best bet that your leg is cutting off airflow to the motor. I would also check the fuel pressure line from the pump It can get where it pinches if you are not careful. Pull the ground off the battery and make sure it is completely clean and 100% contacted because the way everything sits under the seat you can make it move a little bit when you move around. I would try that order the air filter removal won't hurt anything unless its dusty or you do it long term.

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked all the wires and cable made sure they wasnt being pinched when I sat. Checked the battery cables and ports are snug and clean. No visible wires are broken or damaged. Cleaned the intake and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. About to do tune up too. Idk what else it could be.

·
Old Goat
24,422 Posts
Just from being on here for 14 years and paying attention to Hans...sounds like ECM...good luck

·
Registered
10,986 Posts
Did you start up the engine and push/pull on on the ICM or wiring, other connectors under the seat???
Wires break internally, sometimes insulation does not.

Do you have to put your feet on the bar or does it happen if you raise
your legs, putting more weight on the seat??

Are your knees/legs pushing on the intake when problem occurs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No i didnt pull on the wires tho. It happens when i lift my legs up and rest them on the pegs causing more weight on the seat.

·
Registered
10,986 Posts
Chuck and DD both mentioned your weight on something is possibly
causing an OPEN circuit or shorting something. If you have not pushed
down on something under the seat with the engine
running you may never find it. Do you have a tach???
Connected to rear coil??? Any wiring run over the frame getting pinched.... Remove seat >> Crank the engine...push on stuff..

Unless you have a very strange crash bar/pegs there is not likely to be
a problem.
Now if some wiring is pinched up front(not likely) the problem could be there.
When someone mods a MC, anything is possible.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As someone else mentioned, I'll bet it is air turbulence. I'll bet it is ramming air into the air filter (Your leg is acting like a sail and forcing air into the filter), this is probably putting too much air into the carb making it run lean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What different type of air intake could yall possible recommend to help with this possible issue? Maybe a spiked, or hypercharger?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts