Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bolts that loosen and need tightened on my 2004 Honda VTX 1300

Before a long trip what hardware or bolts need to inspect before a long trip

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
I have checked the front axle pinch bolts, verified rear axle bolt/nut was tight.
Check tree/bridge pinch bolts for the fork tubes.

Several of my saddlebag bracket/grab rail bolts used to loosen.
Medium strength thread locker took care of that.
Nothing has fallen off yet.
Welcome to the VTXOA!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
except for when the bike was new and received its first ride..

I went over every nut and bolt on the outside of the bike... a few simple hours. and a torque wrench

I do not check nuts and bolts... as I know I did this JOB correct.. when it was NEW...

I have owned this bike from NEW, 2/2005... and it now has 90,050 miles.
nothing has loosened or moved.

this is my 7th New Honda... nothing has ever loosened after my first check over.

but a USED machine... do all of the checks.
most owners suck at maintenance
my opinion.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Damn ...dont sugar coat it chuck..say what you really mean...:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

50 years servicing others machines.. did teach me something :)>:)

want to know how well I am loved... ask my in-laws ......
they might shoot you.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
In addition...

Check any fasteners that hold down aftermarket add-on parts (example: saddlebags). These are especially vulnerable for rattling loose. As already mentioned, apply medium strength Loctite thread lock to ensure the nuts stay in place. Don't ever use full strength Loctite on anything you may want to unfasten some day as you will need a torch to get it off again. :surprise:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Check any fasteners that hold down aftermarket add-on parts (example: saddlebags). These are especially vulnerable for rattling loose. As already mentioned, apply medium strength Loctite thread lock to ensure the nuts stay in place. Don't ever use full strength Loctite on anything you may want to unfasten some day as you will need a torch to get it off again. :surprise:

When disassembling red threadlocker, the process is a little different than for other threadlockers. The key is to apply localized heat greater than 550° F. Then, once the threaded assembly is hot, the bolt can be unthreaded.
How to Remove Red Threadlocker - Henkel Adhesives

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com › insights › all-insights › blog › how-to-r...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Before a long trip what hardware or bolts need to inspect before a long trip
It is always a good idea to give your bike a really good going over before you take a long trip, that only makes sense. As for "hardware or bolts", not nessessary.

Once a year, at the end of the riding season, I give my bike it's Winter prep, where it gets a really good update & inspection, this way it is ready to go in the Spring. This includes going over (checking with torque wrench) all main bolts and other items already mentioned. Once that is done, you do not need to re-torque anything during riding season, As Chuck_VTX F stated, no main (factory) bolts really comes loose.

Be safe out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts