Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I switch on the left turn signal , both L & R turn signals flash rapidly on my '03 VTX 1800C. I've checked and cleaned the switch. Switch seems OK. Would the problem be a bad flasher unit ? This seems like the logical answer. The right turn signal works fine. What's up with the crazy left signal? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I recall a mod for the "C" model: adding two diodes to the turn signal circuit so you could use a single indicator lamp for both R & L turn signals. If one of the diodes short this is exactly what would happen. The diodes would be mounted under the dash on the tank. Check Bare's tech page. I'm a Retro rider so not up on the details of this mod. At least now you have 4-ways

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Have you added led TS/Run???
Have you replaced a TS/run lamp in the front??
Bulb incorrectly installed??? 180 degrees off?

1800C uses a small single 1.4watt bulb that goes across each TS wire--that bulb ties the R and L together...
For normal bulbs it works ok because the TS bulbs are 21watts..
For leds TS the diodes previously mentioned need to be added..

The flasher is on the center terminal of the TS switch..
When pushed it to R or L it closes a TS contact AND opens a position/run light on the same side...

So Left TS seems to be ill and flashing fast--missing a full lamp...Check for orientation.. 1157 front

A diagram from Mr. Buras showing how the 1800C is configured and why diodes are needed when leds are used..
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electrical/vtx-1800c-diode-fix/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx H&F . I have studied the bareasschoppers schematic and I see what needs to be done. Since the VTX '03 1800C only has one indicator light for both L & R TS , the LED turn signals won't work , unless diodes are installed. I think I'll just go back to regular bulbs. I'm kind'a old school.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recall a mod for the "C" model: adding two diodes to the turn signal circuit so you could use a single indicator lamp for both R & L turn signals. If one of the diodes short this is exactly what would happen. The diodes would be mounted under the dash on the tank. Check Bare's tech page. I'm a Retro rider so not up on the details of this mod. At least now you have 4-ways
Thanks for the info. I'm going back to regular bubs. The problem was the LED TS and they require the 2 diodes for this mod to work .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts