Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess that's what it's called, the thing the pads rub against to stop.
I already ordered pads. The front discs are smooth, the rear, feel
a little rough. Should I invest in new rear discs?

TIA
Rick

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It’s a brake rotor. If it is rough a new one might be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Depends on how you look at it. If "rough" means it has grooves, that's just extra surface which allows for better grip and better braking, no? :)
All seriousness aside, rotors are replaced when they are warped or below minimum thickness.
Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Minimum thickness is always stamped on the rotor. A bit of roughness is no concern. Grooves (from debris caught between pad and rotor) indicate replacement is warranted.

Reactions: THE WOOD MAN

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Be careful if you buy a "new" OEM rotor from any dealers! See my post

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
I don't know that anyone will machine bike rotors. As mentioned, a bit of roughness isn't too big of a deal. If it's grooved then as mentioned it should be replaced. If you have dual rotors in the front, they should be replaced as a pair, but you can replace front and back separately. Bob hit the crucial point here. If you get "OEM" rotors, get them from Honda, otherwise you get some machined pig iron of varying quality, even within the same part. They will warp the first time you try to stop in the rain. Rotor gets hot, gets sprayed as you ride through a puddle and you'll need new rotors. Buy from a brand name. You don't need to buy super high performance ceramic rotors or anything, but if you buy on the premium side, you should be good to go. I do recommend a full floating type rotor. This is a rotor where the disc part is fastened to the hub part as opposed to being all one piece. The fasteners are round donuts.

These are full floating rotors

These are solid rotors;

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
My very knowledgeable, experienced, and particular auto mechanics teachers said only replace if warped or too thin. The pads will wear fit to the grooves.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
352 Posts
I stick with the Honda OEM pads: get great mileage, low amount of brake dust, rotors still show NO wear (57K), and they stop really good. Too many pluses to try something new/different. JMHO

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I stick with the Honda OEM pads: get great mileage, low amount of brake dust, rotors still show NO wear (57K), and they stop really good. Too many pluses to try something new/different. JMHO
I have tried other brands of pads. I get the most mileage out of OEM Honda's.

Reactions: Blast
1 - 11 of 11 Posts