Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was switching my "S" spokes for "C" wheels today, I had to use my existing brake disks. The front ones were very tight, but nothing compared to the back one. I broke 3 allen wrenches and finally ruined the recessed heads on the bolts. I don't know what it would take to get them out. i finally had to drill them enough to remove the brake disk. Needless to say the old wheel is basically ruined. i called the dealer and talked to him and he suggested heating them. Just be aware of this problem if you attempt the same thing. Oh by the way the new bolts which I have to buy cost 4 bucks each and there are 6 of them. Insult to injury.......

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this. Sorry to hear about your luck. I've had a similar situation involving fork tube caps which was a $60 lesson for me :shock: . So, I think many of us can feel you pain.

Good luck with the rest of your project, Hope it goes better for you than it started out.

TRHOD

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The disk bolts are coated with an epoxy type "loc tite" and are designed to be difficult to remove, and should NEVER be re-used.
They need heated, and an impact driver is used to remove them.
Think of what would happen if your disk came loose. :(
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Be sure to holes are clean and use lock-tite on the new bolts. Torque to 31 lbs, front and rear.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Never overlook the importance of the proper tool :wink:
Mine came off no problem using an allen socket and a long half inch breaker bar. Heat would have been the next thing to try, but didn't need it.

Sometimes it pays to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation. I am guilty too of getting stuck in the "get it done now" mode - but as I do more projects - I can recognize when it's time to take a break, and then come back with a new approach.

If you want some tough bolts to get out....try the rotor backing plate on the C front wheel :shock:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Similar response t' Poison's. Propane torch could have possibly helped. Hal sells the little bolts a lot cheaper.

prs

·
Registered
198 Posts
6mm allen socket if memory serves me correctly. Came off like a charm with the breaker bar. What surprised me more than anything while doing the Foots mod was how loose the axle nut was.

nh3

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hay can anyone give me a link on where to find these bolts on Hal's site. I really need some. Do the new ones come predone with the locktite stuff on them or what? If not what kind of locktite should I use.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses, and to answer the last question, the bolts are on the OEM menu on the main page of the HDL site in the middle, click on the schematic. I bought some locktite at sears for bolts.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If I try to buy these bolts at the stealer here they cost $5.65 ea.
On the hondaonline site they are $3.00 but shipping to me in Kauai is $36. If anybody else buys them the shipping is only $7. This really sucks.
I need to find somebody to have these shipped to who will then send them to me vai USPS Priority mail because hondaonline refuses to use anything but UPS or FEDX. I wish they would come into the 20th century!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts