Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem with my brake light and I have noticed this since several years now.
When actvated by pulling the right handle I get a very bright light but when using te brake pedal the light is significantly less bright.
When I short the connector that leads to the brake pedal switch the problem stays the same so it is not caused bij a bad switch.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a strange problem with my brake light and I have noticed this since several years now.
When actvated by pulling the right handle I get a very bright light but when using te brake pedal the light is significantly less bright.
When I short the connector that leads to the brake pedal switch the problem stays the same so it is not caused bij a bad switch.
Any thoughts?
There are two possibilities here. First, the source wire coming into the brake switch may be the problem. Suggest taking a jumper wire from a known source (battery) and connect to the lead going to the brake light to see if there's a difference. If that doesn't change anything then you know its the wire from the switch to the brake light has a fault. Whichever it turns out to be, follow the color and look for a pinched wire or a dirty or loose plug connector.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
White/Green is the +12v source from the fuse to the brake switches.
Green/Yellow from switches to bullet connections to Brake light.
Does Honda splice on a wire or wires in the cable harness to make a circuit??? Probably...
Check for voltage drop. Verify your rear switch adjustment allows for a good contact.

Many years ago I noticed a problem with my brake light.
Rear switch worked correctly, illuminated immediately.
The front brake switch had a delayed start.
What really got my attention was when the lamps began lighting up and the leds lit up later.
Normally Leds light up immediately. The front switch had a dark spot on it.
This developed after a long ride in the rain. I cleaned the switch contacts and then
the leds and lamps worked correctly.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will check this out later since for the moment the connector is hidden behind a lower radiator cover

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
I found the cause, a defective hydrolic brake light switch of my aftermarket forward controls, installed in 2005.
I replaced it and everything is OK now.

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Terrestrial animal Horseshoe

Defective switch

Data transfer cable Font Cable Circle Event

New switch

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Brake fluid got to the switch side possibly or the weather got to it..
Good to see problem resolved!
Ford vehicles used a hydraulic brake switch many years ago.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Anyone looking to "increase" the brightness of their brake lights (or turn signals) would do well. to buff those bad boys out with a wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts