Honda VTX Forum banner

Brake pedal sticks onVTX 1300C 2006

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Philscbx 
#1 ·
My brake pedal goes down easily but won’t return. As long as the pedal is down the rear brake applies. I bleed the system. (it hadn’t been done in 3 years). A lot of dark fluid came out. I removed the pedal unit with piston and refill tank and disassembled and cleaned everything including the pivot for the pedal and put it back together. Could it be the return spring for the pedal is shot?

Also Where can I get a real shop manual for my bike? I bought a Honda manual that covers maybe a dozen different bikes and is about 200 pages. Just enough to get me in trouble! Thanks.

#3 ·
I had the same thing happen recently, and I just carefully squirted some lithium grease around the piston and it solved the problem. Try not to get too much in there...you only need a little.

I had thought it was something with the brake pedal, so I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it really well. But it didn't solve it. The piston probably had a bunch of brake dust built up inside the caliper housing.

#4 ·
Thanks MR VTX and Geno54

Thanks guys for the immediate responses. I'll try the grease and the website for the info. This just goes to show the fine class of people this bike attracts. MR VTX I'll be getting back to checking your bike out a little closes. Very Sweet. I can learn a thing or two on improvement on mine.

Skunk

#7 ·
I had the same thing happen recently, and I just carefully squirted some lithium grease around the piston and it solved the problem. Try not to get too much in there...you only need a little.

I had thought it was something with the brake pedal, so I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it really well. But it didn't solve it. The piston probably had a bunch of brake dust built up inside the caliper housing.
Since the boots are a rubber compound, I assume, wouldn't silicone be better?

#8 ·
Since the boots are a rubber compound, I assume, wouldn't silicone be better?
I'm sure it is, but where I squirted the white lithium grease there were no rubber parts, other than the rubber o-ring inside the caliper where the piston slides.

#10 ·
Be careful with solvent based lube in spray cans.
Caliper piston seal in the bore is sensitive to anything but brake fluid and can swell locking the piston in place.

You'll be better off pushing pistons out, cleaning the bore, o-ring groove, and polish pistons to new condition.

The O-ring also acts as return spring, as it pulls the caliper piston back.
There cannot be any foreign matter bonded on the piston in the way of this action.

Teflon / silicone grease works well (non-spray) during assembly,
and helps keep moisture out.

If replacing pads, do not simply push pistons in to make space.
This is what ingests rust, dirt into piston seal.
Push them part way out first to make sure pistons are fully clean 360.
Then apply lube and push them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.