Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm quit new to the VTX (1300). But i noticed my braking distance is a bit long. To have any reference, how far is your braking distance on a given speed?
Any ways to improve the braking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 1300 is a heavy bike, I’m not sure what you are used to, but that might account for some of what you feel.

Your brakes might need service, new fluid, pads?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1300 is a heavy bike, I’m not sure what you are used to, but that might account for some of what you feel.

Your brakes might need service, new fluid, pads?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.
Thanks.
I might change the fluids. They are getting a little dark.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Weight transfer makes using the front brake much more effective and preferred. Easy to get in the habit of using the rear brake. Stop faster ?? use the front brake and ease on the rear -- too much rear and it'll lock up. JMHO
(y)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
That's the first thing I noticed with my VTX 1300, defiantly does not stop as quick as my Yamaha Raider did, but then it had dual rotors on the front. Honda dropped the ball I think, should have had dual rotors IMHO.;)

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Old Goat
25,649 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, i believe the 1800 has dual
I think changing the brake fluid will help -- too much air got to the fluid (moisture) turning it dark. Yep, 1800's have a better braking system but then again they;re heavier and a little top heavy. But they have a linked braking system - engage the front and you get the back as well.
As for bleeding the brakes, the 1300 is easier. Not knowing the history of a new to you 1300 means you should consider changing all the fluids. Start fresh, knowing what you have.
(y)

Reactions: Jens Boedt and RBS

·
Registered
406 Posts
If the pads are not honda, you might want to change them (and stick with honda pads). They are the best pads according to many and I agree. My local shop has even told me people with other manufacturer's bikes have asked for honda pads. IDK if that is still the case today, but it was

·
Old Goat
25,649 Posts
Once u get bike ready to ride...remember as mentioned ..these are heavy bikes..be respectful of that and give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the ride...good luck

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
As others have said and I concur, the VTX is a heavy bike so if you're used to a lighter bike the VTX will take longer and more effort to stop. Also some other bikes simply have better braking system. Once you've ensured your pads are good and fluid is new with no air in the lines, the best I've found to improve the brake response is to install steel braided brake lines. I found it took less effort and the bike responded quicker with steel braided brake lines.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here is a post I started a while back, with YouTube video from MCRider. There is some good info our fellow members posted. hope it helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lots that can be said about this. Here's a quote from a study on this very topic: "Probably the most important result of this long-term study is the fact that the average deceleration obtained from numerous braking tests is only about 56% of the maximum deceleration achievable with the motorcycle used in the experiments".
In other words, you can probably brake your 1300 allot harder than you think you "should" without crossing a crash threshold. This is not the only study that reached that conclusion and reinforces the necessity to practice, practice, practice and to become intimately familiar with your bike. Here's a link to the study and another good piece with plenty more available on the web.
International Motorcycle Safety Conference, March 1-4, 2001, Orlando Florida, USA (msf-usa.org)
Motorcycle Brakes: Front VS Rear - When & Why - YouTube
Lastly, something else already alluded to by others here.... Clearly those of us riding the 1800 with dual front brakes which are linked with the rear brakes enjoy an advantage including a wider range of response & control with each front brake absorbing essentially half the brake load on the front wheel compared with the1300.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Braking distances from 60-0 mph (MCNews.com Jan. 2008):

VTX 1800: 109 ft.
Yamaha YZF-R1 ('07): 117.9 ft.
Yamaha Raider: 120 ft.
VTX 1300: 122 ft.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts

Yamaha YZF-R1 ('07): 117.9 ft.
Yamaha Raider: 120 ft.
Good info, for sure. My 1800 stopped better than my Harley with ABS. The linked braking system, IMO, was a great idea. I don't know if the 1300 has that, but if not it should.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Very interesting to see that the extra front rotor on the 1800 decreases the braking distance despite the higher weight.
I would have expected the tire to be the limitation on the 1300 but it seems to be the actual single-rotor brake. Very interesting.
Eye-opening.
Thank you for posting the numbers! (y)

·
Old Goat
25,649 Posts
Just some facts,no Bragg and no preaching the DS.......but my 1300 with foots mod and CT...stops damn near on a dime...without rear end meeting and greeting me...but I’m still respectable of the distances....Safe Braking/Riding.....

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
When I first got my VTX 1300 took it to an abandoned parking lot to practice slow moving maneuvers, and emergency braking. I was amazed at how long it takes to bring the VTX to a full stop with hard braking using the principals of weight shift and front brake priority with the back brake hard but not locked up (difficult to manage in very hard, fast stop). It honestly felt like trying to stop a freight train compared to lighter bikes I was used to riding.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Just some facts,no Bragg and no preaching the DS.......but my 1300 with foots mod and CT...stops damn near on a dime...without rear end meeting and greeting me...but I’m still respectable of the distances....Safe Braking/Riding.....

If you mount a car tire on the front it should be able to stop on a nickel!

:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts