Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just some facts,no Bragg and no preaching the DS.......but my 1300 with foots mod and CT...stops damn near on a dime...without rear end meeting and greeting me...but I’m still respectable of the distances....Safe Braking/Riding.....
Forgive my ignorance but what is "foots mod"? I assume CT = Car Tire? Or am I way off here?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
When I first got my VTX 1300 took it to an abandoned parking lot to practice slow moving maneuvers, and emergency braking. I was amazed at how long it takes to bring the VTX to a full stop with hard braking using the principals of weight shift and front brake priority with the back brake hard but not locked up (difficult to manage in very hard, fast stop). It honestly felt like trying to stop a freight train compared to lighter bikes I was used to riding.
Well, the 1300 IS a heavy bike by comparison to small and medium cruisers. My buddy has a 500lb Vulcan 900 with a single front rotor and he can lock it up at maximum braking power.
So with the 1300 being closer in size & weight to the 1800, I can imagine it could benefit from a second rotor in the front.
Anybody did an upgrade to run two rotors on a 1300? I bet the braking became much more aggressive.

·
Old Goat
25,660 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what is "foots mod"? I assume CT = Car Tire? Or am I way off here?
Named after the guy who first did it...1800C rear rim and brakes... for me the brakes are the gravy...the rim just allows for fatter/wider tire...also running 1800N shocks...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Named after the guy who first did it...1800C rear rim and brakes... for me the brakes are the gravy...the rim just allows for fatter/wider tire...also running 1800N shocks...
Nice mod -- can't beat a 16" rim that's a little wider plus a good CT on it. The lower sidewall is key to a good handling rear end.
(y)

·
Registered
244 Posts
As far as I know the only way anyone has so far converted their 1300 to dual front rotors was by installing the entire front end of an 1800 on the 1300 - a bit of an undertaking. The single front rotor on the 1300 is 13.2 inches in diameter - pretty large, but the 2 piston caliper on the front is on the weak side. A member here once installed a 6 piston caliper on the 1300 and reported a good improvement in braking but it was not a direct bolt on mod - some fabrication was required. Beringer brakes claims to have a 4 piston and a 6 piston caliper for the 1300 on their website, but I haven't heard of anyone ever trying it.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
SUMDATX made a mistake in his post. The 18s LBS applies the FRONT center pistons (there are three in each caliper) when the REAR brake is applied. Not trying to nit pick. I have rode one of my GFs 13 plenty of times, and no, it does not brake like the 18. It can't. That being said, I have never felt that its' brakes were inadequate.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts