Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual states that 300 miles is ok for break in. The mechanic told me 1000 miles. (Said to stay away from the interstate too) How far do actual riders recommend? Any advice? I have 460 miles and I have only opened it up once for about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I banged the revlimiter thru the 1st 3 gears within 5 miles. I didn't continue 2 drive that way. I had 232 mile drive back home on 2 lane & would downshift on long straights 2 alter the rpms. After 40 miles I was runnin' it up2 100 pullin' hills but then I would back off 4 a while. Break 'er down n flog 'er like da man you are & later on ya can show your gentler caring side by dumping the oil & filter 4 new shiny 1's...................

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hey TT. What model did you get?
My advise is to ride it like you normally will even during break in. With one exception: if you are the type who will do burn-outs and what not, save that until it is broken in. But, you can accelerate hard enough. Don't baby it. I think it is best to ride briskly. When it turns green: take off! When you get on the freeway: open 'er up.... I mean, get to your freeway riding speed quickly. I think you are well past the break in period now anyway, in my opinion anyway. You can ride it on the interstate during break in. Just vary the engine speed every now and then. I wouldn't jump on the freeway and go state to state though during break in.
I have had 6 or 7 brand new bikes so I don't think I've steered you wrong.
Todd

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a shiny black 2003 VTX Retro (spoke). Put the wife on the back one day and thought....hmmmmm, she should get her own bike. So today I am going to go take a look.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sorry Nickster, I stepped on you.
Not in my book brother. I'm good @ hittin' da reply button, takin' 2 long 2 compose my thoughts & by the time I send it a couple of folks have already said the same thing in their words.

Al, I bet w/o lookin' @ da link that it told ya to oil change da second time betwixt 100-200 miles & gradually increase the lengths in miles. The 1 I'm thinkin' of it says that by 25-75 miles it's broke in. Dump da oil & filter quick a couple of times, run it hard through the gears after the 1st change & ya done. I think many folks are comparing breakin' in an air cooled, high reving & heat retainin' motor w/da X. Which in my book doesn't need near the attention. Some folks say 2 run it a bit & shut it off 2 cool before ridin' some mo. I don't think a water cooled unit needs that. It sure wouldn't hurt it though. I changed @ 724 miles although I was going 2 change much earlier. @ 2500 I dumped again & could see through the oil while drain' & it looked good. On older bikes that I drove I would dump from 1-2K & the oil never looked good comin' out. Now I'm runnin' syn & plan on changin' filter @ 2K & toppin' off w/new.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TraumaTroll said:
How far do actual riders recommend? Any advice? quote]

500-1000 miles - that shouldn't take very long on an X!

Vary your speed - do not run for extended distance at any one speed.
Wait until warmed up good before hitting the go juice hard.
Other than that - RIDE IT!

I have used this method on MANY vehicles and have amazed people at how many miles I get out of them without engine problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts