Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, Bought my 04 1300c used, had 9 miles on it. Brought it home, did a bunch of mods, got it running really strong. Changed oil & filter and been riding it as much as I can. BUT....I am clueless to the break in period. What am I not supposed to do or supposed to do? Been trying to vary speeds and not go too fast (hard some times). Hints please?
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dealer told me 1/4 throttle up to the first 300 mi and not over 1/2 throttle up to the 600 mi. service. Of course this is the dealer that seems to have delivered my bike without a full crank case of oil!

Others on this board have said that there should not be a break in period, just get your 600 mi service.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think it is stated in the owners manual(in the left side cover),but I did mine like a lot of folks do & have always had good luck.Mainly,don't maintain a constant rpm-I varied mine from 55-100 mph in 5th for the break-in.I now have 22,000 miles,runs strong,uses no oil & has never been worked on.I think you are the guy that sold a 750 Spirit to a gal in Oklahoma City.?Had a chance to ride that thing a couple days after she got it-cool paint,runs good & fun to play with!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got the same from my dealer. I didn't fully open the throttle for a while. Couldn't stand it any longer. Drove it any way I wanted ever since and have had no problems. Keep your service done. Especially the oil changes and valve adjustments. If the bike won't hold up, the manufacturer's warranty is good for a year anyhow. During the coming year you can extend your warranty if you want. I chose to extend mine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Dakota! Yes that was my bike. Had a lot of fun with it and spent too much money on it. Now I'm ready to start all over with this vtx.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been riding hard!

I read somewhere on this site that hard riding was best for the piston wear down and in fact you would lose power by taking it easy on the bike. Some one posted last week a link to some site where it was tested and proved that hard breakins were recommended. Even showed the interior of an engine with a hard break in and soft break in and is in a museum somewhere. Engines now a days are cut more precisesly then in the past so hard driving was recommended. I am no means an expert but a member posted it and I am following that method. They also said change your oil during the first 20 iles so's not to get thet tiny metal parts embedded on the engine and not to use synthetic till the 600 mile range. I have 130 milkes on my bike now and I'm very new to cruisers as a former rice rocketeer, I love the confidence this bike inspires. I hope a member reads this post and adds that link again. I couldnt find it. Hope that helps!

?

·
0 Posts
LOL, Drive it like you stole it! :twisted:

Seriously! , all Hondas have been broken in and made several wide open runs on a Dyno before being released from the factory.

READ THIS:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I ran my X AND my 04'Ram Hemi like a raped Ape right off the lot.

Both run exceptionally well after a year now, strong running, never uses oil, never had a service issues of any type other than routine maintanence, gets excellent gas milage compared to other friends with the same vehicles but they babied them at break in stage.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
run it hard

I had to ride mine home from the dealer about 150 miles in a pouring rain.
I tried to vary the rpm as much as I could, I even went from 5th to 4th gear a lot to make sure that I wasn't luggng too much.
After I got it home I ran it hard. Went to limiter in 2nd gear and back down quite a few times. Tolerances in the new engines are waaay different than when the rule of thumb break-in rules were made.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this a little late to post - but I just got my 1300c a week & 1/2 ago.
Screw what they say of break in periods. OLD school says -- drive the fuker. Vary RPM's. You will have no probs. I have talked to family friends who drag race cars - you build the engine and go to the race. My wifes grandfather used to build drag car motors back in the 50's. He said just to drive it and vary RPM's for a little. I have never had any probs with bikes or cars. :wink:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
hard riding was best for the piston wear down and in fact you would lose power by taking it easy on the bike. Some one posted last week a link to some site where it was tested and proved that hard breakins were recommended.
Like they say - ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I did steal it :lol: :lol:

Drive it like it belongs to your ex wife.
Drive it like a rental.
Beat it like a.......(ok I won't offend any red headed step children)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts