Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top radiator bolt broke likely due to the ShowChrome bars. I thought it had just vibrated out until I tried to stick a new bold in there and it wouldn't go.

So, I drilled it out and got a small ezout into it and promptly broke off the ezout. :twisted: Now I have a jaggy piece of tool steel (or what passes as such from Autozone) so I can't get a bit to bite on it. And it's too short to get it to break off or mash with a punch.

My next thought it so drill it out and re-thread it, maybe heli-coil it but I don't know how much meat I'm dealing with inside?

Any suggestions?

Up side is I'm not uncomfortable zip-tying the top of the radiator to the bars so I'm not "down", just ticked off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The top radiator bolt broke likely due to the ShowChrome bars. I thought it had just vibrated out until I tried to stick a new bold in there and it wouldn't go.

So, I drilled it out and got a small ezout into it and promptly broke off the ezout. :twisted: Now I have a jaggy piece of tool steel (or what passes as such from Autozone) so I can't get a bit to bite on it. And it's too short to get it to break off or mash with a punch.

My next thought it so drill it out and re-thread it, maybe heli-coil it but I don't know how much meat I'm dealing with inside?

Any suggestions?

Up side is I'm not uncomfortable zip-tying the top of the radiator to the bars so I'm not "down", just ticked off.

When i repaired my crashed 02 1800r i had to repair that area also. I seem to remember the metal there is around 1/4" thick. Not much for a helicoil to work with. Do you know anyone with a tig welder? I had very good luck removing broken bolts by carefully tig welding on top of the broken bolt until you built up enough weld to grab with a vice grip, or weld an old nut on it and turn it off with a wrench. I've done that trick many times.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i repaired my crashed 02 1800r i had to repair that area also. I seem to remember the metal there is around 1/4" thick. Not much for a helicoil to work with. Do you know anyone with a tig welder? I had very good luck removing broken bolts by carefully tig welding on top of the broken bolt until you built up enough weld to grab with a vice grip, or weld an old nut on it and turn it off with a wrench. I've done that trick many times.
Thanks for the ideas but no access to a tig. I broke my last right sized drill bit so said to heck with it and put it allback together and zip tied it up nice and pretty until I can get some new bits, a new ezout and some patience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts