Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody broke a u-joint yet???
39,000 miles,bone stock,and my u-joint let go,WTF! :?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd wonder if the u-joint was being serviced during tire change. Its rare for one to break but it does happen. Helped a guy in Galveston bring his bike in after a drive shaft failure just a week ago. A part had been left off during re-installation.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The "Smoke'em if you got'em" Anv1l fried his last season. He really abused his u-joint and wasn't surprised when it let go. Actually, it just started vibrating really bad, so nothing catastrophic happened.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Are you guys talking about the splines between the wheel and hub? The ones where you're supposed to use 60% moly grease (or something like that) every time you change tires? I think I'll buy some of that stuff, and already have a jack to get it up :oops:

Maybe use some solvent (kerosene maybe) while I've got the wheel removed, maybe toothbrush to remove all the old crusty crap, then paste those babies (splines) with the good goop. Maybe that will prolong their life. 8)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had to have mine replaced on my 02 1800R after about 300 miles. You could hear it clank when I lightly twisted the throttle back and fourth. The dealer said it was a faulty U joint. I have about 15,000 miles now and I noticed some vibration when your leaning in either direction. It feels like it's coming from the hub. I have a pair of Metz with about 1000 miles on them so I don't think it's the tires. Was there any warning signs or did the U joint just let go?

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
OK, how often should I check the U Joint?? And How do I Check it?? When the wheel is Off, I have Not seen it :? Please LMK Thanks All

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The joint can't easily be seen as its "up the tube". In fact, I've never seen mine. Seems they cause vibration as they deteriorate.

·
Registered
736 Posts
the u-joint comes off the output shaft at the front of the driveshaft.
I blew mine too, well deservered though.
I took it into the dealer at about 9000miles because it was clunking through shifts and on accel/decel, left it with them to check, well they say its fine. Well 500 miles later, bad vibration developes, u-joint comes apart, causing a crack where the output shaft bolts up to the left side crankcase. Had to order new block and rebuild engine.
not something you need to check, but be aware of any metalic clunks while shifting or on accel/decel, if you are noticing vibration, I would recomend parking the bike imediately and do not try to ride it home or to the shop, it's not worth the damage the u-joint/driveshaft yoke can cause when it lets go. My u-joint was accually repaired first, it was on the next ride that I noticed an oil leak which led us to the cracked crankcase...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
XMainer said:
I had to have mine replaced on my 02 1800R after about 300 miles. You could hear it clank when I lightly twisted the throttle back and fourth. The dealer said it was a faulty U joint. I have about 15,000 miles now and I noticed some vibration when your leaning in either direction. It feels like it's coming from the hub. I have a pair of Metz with about 1000 miles on them so I don't think it's the tires. Was there any warning signs or did the U joint just let go?
That sounds more like bearings.

·
Registered
644 Posts
XMainer said:

i have the same thing going on. have you put it up on a lift? i just idled mine in first gear up on the lift (letting the tire spin) and there was a BAD clunking coming from what sounded like somewhere in the engine...hard to tell where (damn bigshots), but i thought for a little bit it was the clutch side, then i wasn't sure.

when you got the clanking noise, where did it sound like it was coming from?

please post if you get this phenomenon figured out. i'm not riding it until i know what the deal is.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
What Adam is experiencing, sounds like backlash. With the ujoint you'll notice a hard buzz and it is hard to locate while riding, what it could be. (mine came and went for about a week or two.) You'll know when it breaks as any torque applied is a very bad shake. Go slow and don't try to shift too much.
Mine broke and had to limp home, yoke to yoke. (See left yoke in pic below.)

Tim :twisted:

·
Registered
644 Posts
so anv1l, are you saying that it's probably the u-joint getting ready to crap out on me?

i just had the u-joint out of the bike yesterday, and it LOOKED solid (i didn't inspect it too thoroughly though, 'cause i wasn't thinking of it...)

and it would make clanking sounds that sound like they're coming out of the engine somewhere?

·
Registered
241 Posts
When mine went bad I could feel it behind my left foot. It didn't feel like it was coming from the motor as much as in the tranny, or somewhere around there. At least from what I remember. Mine went three years ago so I'm going by memory. :?

·
Registered
644 Posts
XMainer said:
When mine went bad I could feel it behind my left foot. It didn't feel like it was coming from the motor as much as in the tranny, or somewhere around there. At least from what I remember. Mine went three years ago so I'm going by memory. :?

yeah, it's more like the transmission, i suppose. i do get (though i haven't ridden it in about a month, and this is why i stopped) a HORRENDOUS vibration/buzzing that feels like it takes over the whole bike. it seems that perhaps leaning it over would trigger the buzzing (it was intermittent). the clank is new, and i haven't actually ridden it since the clank started.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks like you should through that thing on a trailer and get it fixed. Or change it out yourself, if you have the know how and tools for it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Adam.... That clank noise is the lash in the drive. You won't notice that noise when riding. When your bike is off the ground the slop in the driveline is playing catchup. No resistance from the wheel. (Not being on the road.) Not a worry at all. I freaked a bit on the same thing till it was explained. Easily understood.
If you get the buzz while riding, might be the ujoint. Did you check how easy the caps turned on the joint? Needle bearings in side. (If I recall correctly.)
Oh, by the way Adam?
DA BEARS SUX!!! :lol:

·
Registered
644 Posts
ANV1L said:
Adam.... That clank noise is the lash in the drive. You won't notice that noise when riding. When your bike is off the ground the slop in the driveline is playing catchup. No resistance from the wheel. (Not being on the road.) Not a worry at all. I freaked a bit on the same thing till it was explained. Easily understood.
If you get the buzz while riding, might be the ujoint. Did you check how easy the caps turned on the joint? Needle bearings in side. (If I recall correctly.)
Oh, by the way Adam?
DA BEARS SUX!!! :lol:
i didn't check jack on the u-joint. but i can't believe that the clanking i'm hearing/feeling while it's on the lift is normal.

i'm gonna pull it when i next have a chance and take a look, though. thanks as always, bro.

oh, and ricky williams: five carries, eight yards, and i'm pretty sure he wasn't TOTALLY stoned at the time.

we'll be seein' ya twice this season, cheeseball. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts