Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with a mechanic at a local Honda Dealership. He told me to take my Bub pipes off and put back my Stock cause exhausts leak can ruin the bike. Help. Anyone have any trouble with Bub Pipes? I have a 2500 mile 2004 Honda VTX 1300C. Its running Bubs on it and I hear a ticking noise, constantly, is it just backdraft or is it a leak?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also said that people who run pipes without adjusting is hurting the bike. A little help here.... anyone running bubs that never touched the carbs, etc? I have bubs on my bike, but nothing was mechanically touched.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
customed1300 said:
Just got off the phone with a mechanic at a local Honda Dealership. He told me to take my Bub pipes off and put back my Stock cause exhausts leak can ruin the bike. Help. Anyone have any trouble with Bub Pipes? I have a 2500 mile 2004 Honda VTX 1300C. Its running Bubs on it and I hear a ticking noise, constantly, is it just backdraft or is it a leak?
1300 Dude. If you truely have an exhaust leak you should be able to track it down with the engine running. See if you can't feel it blowing out by running your fingers around the exhaust port.
Plus get up there close to the pipe/exhaust port with the engine off and eyeball it really good. See any signs of blowby???

·
Registered
453 Posts
customed1300,
sharp looking ride, had mine on for over a year now and no problems.did you check to see if the gasket was leaking,it may need to be retorqued. or maybe a new gasket. or maybe he wants your pipes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not what I want to hear when I have some on order... However, I think it is highly unlikely the bubs damage anything. I would get a second opinion.

The only ticking I know of is the valves.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you just pull your pipes off and send them to me I will gladly install them on my bike to see if they leak. The whole process should take no longer than a few years to track down. PM me for an address :twisted:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
customed1300 said:
Some of these dealers just burn my butt! 75% of these guys don't know jack! NO different than stockers with a leak! If you DO have a leak; simply check the torque on flanges at head, if it still leaks just replace the crush gaskets (donut gaskets) & re torque. The VTX 1300 engine IS noisy, valves ect., this don't mean you have a leak. You got some good advice from other posts.......... :D Rod

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot. Are they Hydralic or solid valves?

·
Registered
289 Posts
just to let you know. my mechanic ( who at one time was one of the best mechanics at our local honda dealer ) until he opened his on shop. out right told me that any time something goes wrong with a bike at all and they have to call into honda for tips,honda would inturn tell them to put the bike back to stock specs so they could figure out what was wrong. A good mechanic could figure this out with out having to call honda for tips. My bike runs like a top and has never and probably never ever will be at the stealer for any work once so ever. Thats just my experiance find a good mechanic that knows his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Get an incense stick

Start the engine,light the stick.

Move it around the exhaust ports,.

The smoke will show any leaks.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
customed1300 said:
Thanks alot. Are they Hydralic or solid valves?
They are not "self adjusting"(solid lifters) actually it is BETTER to hear them than not; if they make no noise it means they are too tight, BAD for engine. They need to be checked at 600 miles & at 4000 and so on.......Also good advice from GR8PHUN ,you may not have a problem at all!......... :D Rod

·
Registered
84 Posts
leaks

Exhaust Leaks are bad.... But the bubs are no more inclined to leak than any other brand including stock. Just make sure you have a good seal on the exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
160 Posts
GR8PHUN said:
Get an incense stick

I would highly suggest you do this behind closed doors. I can just imagine what my neighbors would say when I got on my hands and knees and lit it. "Oh dear God, he is praying to it now......"

Hawk

·
Registered
846 Posts
hawk590 said:
GR8PHUN said:
Get an incense stick

I would highly suggest you do this behind closed doors. I can just imagine what my neighbors would say when I got on my hands and knees and lit it. "Oh dear God, he is praying to it now......"

Hawk
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
lets think about this... bubs, which allow more air flow thru the pipes than stock, are bad for the bike? does he want more back pressure on the valves? hmmm never knew that to be a bad thing.
ask him to explain that to you.
and a leak at that, would let more air out faster? IF its leaking, I would get that fixed. but, I cant see it would do any damage to the motor.
and no, I dont have bubs, just common sence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hawk590 said:
GR8PHUN said:
Get an incense stick

Hawk

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had an exhaust leak when I put Hard Krome's on my Aero 750 because I installed the flange backwards (don't ask...). The tech at the dealer fixed this when I had the jet kit installed and jetted. He said something like, "you're lucky we found this, it could have ruined your engine". Nice.

As for the "leak" on your bike, a few things: did you put in new gaskets when you installed the pipes? Are the flanges on correctly? Do you see any smoke coming from the heads?

I agree with another member, Bub pipes will leak no more or no less than any pipes, even stock. Just make sure you have them installed right, have the bike rejetted and a K and N filter installed when you jet, and you should be good to go. Dealers have a way of instilling paranoia in us when we upgrade parts.

TB

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone! Too funny about Praying for your bike! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts