Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I used to work for an HVACR union contractor. They made me be the one to go to OSHA classes. Some of the stupid sh## they did- if you are working on a rooftop, and the adjoining building is 2 feet or more higher than the one you're on, you can't just step up, or down. There -HAS- to be a step or 2 there.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I used to work for an HVACR union contractor. They made me be the one to go to OSHA classes. Some of the stupid sh## they did- if you are working on a rooftop, and the adjoining building is 2 feet or more higher than the one you're on, you can't just step up, or down. There -HAS- to be a step or 2 there.

OK, let's think back to when OSHA began - - - -

Before that time, many things happened that caused serious damage and sometimes death. OSHA was an attempt to control that. But, like every bureaucracy, it got out of hand - - - -

I grew up in a small town just north of Ft. Worth, Texas, in the 1950s and 1960s. The town's 'claim to fame' was it had the largest grain elevator in the world, at that time.

Well, funny things about grain elevators. The grain dust in the ullage above the grain pile in every silo is extremely combustible. Lots of potential energy in that dust!

Not surprisingly, occasionally the top of one or more of the silos would BLOW OUT!!!

That elevator explosion would send HUGE chunks of concrete all over town! As a kid, we thought it was GREAT FUN! Fortunately, none of the chucks landed on a house. Unfortunately, workers at the elevator were injured every time an explosion happened.

Here is an example of a grain storage elevator after an explosion. The three in our small town never experienced an explosion that bad. By the late 1960s, the gov'ment created OSHA. OSHA required the grain dust in the ullage to be exhausted out of the elevator. None of the elevator's ever experience an explosion again.

Thank you OSHA!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Well......there's that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts