Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking a ride on my VEE TEE EX to fill up the gas tank before it rains again here in SE PA. My wife was riding as a passenger. We pull up to an intersection and stop waiting for the light to change and what do I hear???... Some young boys yell, "NICE HARLEY!!!".

I look around in exactly the opposite direction from where the boys are standing (Because I can't tell where the yelling is coming from) and I see a very young child in the distance. I think to myself.. "Boy, he's got quiite a set of pipes on him to make that much noise."

Then, the same yell comes again, "NICE HARLEY". This time my wife taps me on the shoulder and points me in the correct direction. Five boys, all under 12 I reckon, are smiling and waving... they are really enjoying the bike.

I wave back and turn to my wife and ask, "Should I tell them it's a Honda?"

She says, "Just let them have their fun."

Oh well.

I did get a "Thumbs up" from the driver of an eighteen wheeler carrying Entemann's pastries as I rode along the PA turnpike today. That was nice.

Just thought I'd share. :) :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Cool beans, man.

I once had a co-worker tell me he liked my Harley. I just said "thanks" and rode away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For most people, a Harley is to cruisers what Kleenex is to "facial tissue". I only correct the people that I know well. For the rest, I just accept the compliment. I think that, snobs aside, most people don't really know or care that there is a difference, they just like what they see. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
pingwax said:
For most people, a Harley is to cruisers what Kleenex is to "facial tissue". I only correct the people that I know well. For the rest, I just accept the compliment. I think that, snobs aside, most people don't really know or care that there is a difference, they just like what they see. :D
Good points. I never thought of it like that especially the last sentence of your post.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pingwax said:
I know what you mean. I really didn't feel the need the correct the kids... it was more of a comment in jest to my wife.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Nice Harley?

In 26,000 miles and thru many states, only once has anyone walked over and asked if my bike was the new Honda v-twin. Everyone else says something akin to "Nice Harley." And like many of the rest of you, I now just smile and give them a nod or say "Thanks. They are being nice, so I try to respond in kind.
It's not like I'm faking anything, or pretending it's something better than it is, I just don't see the need to reply with an explanation. I did a few of those the first 6-9 months before I saw how fruitless it was.
Got to wonder, tho, how long it'll be before folks say "Nice cruiser," or even just "Nice bike"...
But isn't it cool that they say something nice about a great bike?
Jim

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Nice Harley?

Jim T & Collee said:
Jim
You're darn right. I actually like to tell people it's "my little Honda." 8)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Re: Nice Harley?

Jim T & Collee said:
Got to wonder, tho, how long it'll be before folks say "Nice cruiser," or even just "Nice bike"...

Jim
Well, when Harley Davidson ceases to have a 50%+ stranglehold on the 900cc and above bike market in this country then maybe we'll lose the "Harley" as a generic term for "big bike" here.

I'll take it as a compliment, regardless. I usually try to give credit where credit is due, though, by saying something like, "Thanks! It's actually a Honda." 8)

·
Registered
630 Posts
At least it was positive. I went riding the other night and some woman yells, "get a real bike dummy!". I thought what the H*E*L*L* was that about? If Harley would have engineered it and sold it for $25k, I guess then it would be cool. Thumbs up cool ride man . Just venting, pissed me off. :cus:

·
Registered
379 Posts
What's the old saying about opinions an arse-holes, everybody has 'em?
Same holds true for their thoughts on our bikes. I am in the commercial cabinet/store fixture business and everyone says "Formica" when by it's generic name it's plastic laminate. Formica is just a brand name, but everyone knows it by that. Well guess what? After having used about 5 different manufactures over the years, "Formica" is one of my least favorite! I use that analogy with all bikes being called "Harley". God bless 'em, most are just ignorant of the facts and we the real men of cruisers ... we know the difference between generic bikes, and the real thing!
Ride on brothers.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Funny....the HD marketing machine has gotten to our youth and programmed them.
I stopped by the water the other day just to stretch my legs and a kid maybe 10-12 years old was fishing and ran up drooling saying "cool bike', "sounds great" yada yada. Then he says "What is it?" expecting me to burble up som HD acronym FLXT something but I said Honda and immediately the kid stops smiling and says "you should have got a Harley" and started to turn and walk away. I said "Why....I've had two Harleys so I figured I had practiced enough to handle a real bike now". The kid was never seen or heard from again :shock: (really he went back to fishing and did not say another word....I can dream right?)
What nerve huh?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
txvtx1300 said:
Funny....the HD marketing machine has gotten to our youth and programmed them.
I stopped by the water the other day just to stretch my legs and a kid maybe 10-12 years old was fishing and ran up drooling saying "cool bike', "sounds great" yada yada. Then he says "What is it?" expecting me to burble up som HD acronym FLXT something but I said Honda and immediately the kid stops smiling and says "you should have got a Harley" and started to turn and walk away. I said "Why....I've had two Harleys so I figured I had practiced enough to handle a real bike now". The kid was never seen or heard from again :shock: (really he went back to fishing and did not say another word....I can dream right?)
What nerve huh?
that was great, it would make a great saying for a shirt" I learned to ride on a Harley now I own A real bike"

S

·
0 Posts
I came out of a restraunt one day on a trip south and found a bunch of guys standing around my trailer. When I walked over all they wanted to know was where I bought my wheel chock. I was crushed :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was leaving the University the other day when this group of 8-10 year olds (guessing) started looking at my bike. I was heading into a very slow right handed corner, dropped into first, going reaaal slow because there were kids nearby, and then I heard it........"Now THAT is tight!!!"........from one of the kids. All of the kids were off to my rear flanks, I could see there were none ahead on the 2 lane I was heading into, so I layed into it in 1st, still coming out of the corner. You all know the rest...........hehehe

When I was a kid, I hated it when people in asskicking cars and on cool bikes would not do a little show and smell for me........there'll never be a kid who is let down by me in that area, provided it is relatively safe to show 'em something.

This post has no relevance to this thread........ :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I get "nice bike" a lot. Mostly people who know enough about bikes, but not enough to recognize what type it is say nice bike.

I have gotten the whole nice trailer thing when on a rode trip at a gas station.

The trailer is pretty sweet though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
pingwax said:
"Every time" anyone says nice harley, I tell them, harley doesn't make a bike this big. Then, after just a little pause, I tell them it's a Honda. Almost every time, the eyebrows dip and they have that confused blank look. We have to do our part to educate people. Honda's a great machine, made in america, designed by Japanese engineers, period. American jobs, better engineering! Harley's comin around, but until the knuckle heads quit demanding antique engineering and design, I'll ride Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Suzuki, Kaw., or what ever new modern bike comes by. Oh, did I mention "totally reliable"?

·
Registered
177 Posts
its not a Harley

well last weekend I was cruising along and stopped for some gas (frickin gas prices are killing me!!)... As I pulled up to the pump the I heard the quy next to me say to another gas pumper "I bet that Harley gets better gas mileage than that truck. I was so pissed when I heard the other guys response.. "THATS NOT A HARLEY!!" :shock: WOW I didnt know how to react. So did the only thing I know how and that was to give a smart-a$$ remark "No its not a Harley" Kinda shocked the guy because he didnt know I could hear him!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have one better than that....a guy on a Honda Shadow pulled up next to me at a traffic light the other day and gave me a thumbs up...as I was looking over all the nice accessories on his bike....he spoke out from under his face shield..."nice looking bike you're riding there....a Harley right?" I wasn't sure if I heard him right, but I pointed to the Honda Badge on the engine and he just about dropped his bike.

That's a new one on me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
vtx_pirate said:
I have one better than that....a guy on a Honda Shadow pulled up next to me at a traffic light the other day and gave me a thumbs up...as I was looking over all the nice accessories on his bike....he spoke out from under his face shield..."nice looking bike you're riding there....a Harley right?" I wasn't sure if I heard him right, but I pointed to the Honda Badge on the engine and he just about dropped his bike.

That's a new one on me.
That's pretty funny :D

For most people, a Harley is to cruisers what Kleenex is to "facial tissue". I only correct the people that I know well. For the rest, I just accept the compliment. I think that, snobs aside, most people don't really know or care that there is a difference, they just like what they see.
"Every time" anyone says nice harley, I tell them, harley doesn't make a bike this big. Then, after just a little pause, I tell them it's a Honda. Almost every time, the eyebrows dip and they have that confused blank look. We have to do our part to educate people. Honda's a great machine, made in america, designed by Japanese engineers, period. American jobs, better engineering! Harley's comin around, but until the knuckle heads quit demanding antique engineering and design, I'll ride Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Suzuki, Kaw., or what ever new modern bike comes by. Oh, did I mention "totally reliable"?
Both valid points.....so now what do I do :shock: .......just kidding :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts