Honda VTX Forum banner

Buying a 2006 vtx 1800 with 6,000 miles?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Yaesu 
#1 ·
I am wondering about peoples thoughts on buying a bike 14 years old with such low mileage. On the surface it would seem like a great deal but my concern has to do with a bikes seals, rubber parts and the oil that has been collecting acids from sitting so long. I cant confirm if the owner changed the oil or flushed the radiator regularly or preserved the gas since he has passed and his widow is selling it.

What do you guys owners think ???
Thanks in advance
Kosmo

#2 ·
Yep, those are the risks of buying a "Barn find" type vehicle. You gotta go into it thinking;
It's going to need;
Tires
All fluids changed like fuel, engine oil, brake, clutch, suspension, coolant, etc...
Battery
Check for mice damage in wiring, seat, airbox, exhaust

So you work that into the price as things you are going to have to do to make it road worthy. There's no way I'm buying that and riding it home. It's going to be trailered until new tires get put on it. Seals will be fine. Oil doesn't collect acid, acid comes as a byproduct of combustion so as long as it hasn't been running, there should be no acid. Do not try to start it with that old fuel in the tank. Drain out that crap and see what comes out. Tank may need cleaning, it may not.

#3 ·
posted in haste, Spike covered it!

Reactions: Curt E
#4 · (Edited)
Spike nailed it. I bought my 03 with 6,500 miles on it August of last year and I now have about 32,000 miles. All fluids changed, tires and go!

Bring a 5mm Allen to take the air cleaner cover off for a look see. Pull the side covers to check wires. And look in the tank for rust with a good flashlight.

Reactions: frnkcat
#7 ·
A can of PB Blaster on any fasteners being removed, esp. those brittle air cleaner cover bolts!

#9 ·
i wouldn't be afraid to buy it.
as long as it has been garaged and not stored in a barn you should be good.
lots of older bikes still running on the streets all stock.
with efi it should start right up and run well.
i hope i can find one in the spring like yours..i wouldn't hesitate.
a barn find is completely different than finding an older bike that gets ridden 4 or 5 hundred miles a year.
those are good deals!!!

#10 ·
the VERY FIRST THING... using a flashlight.. look as deep as you can into the gas tank
even get a cheap hand mirror. like a dentist use..

any RUST... walk away..

a fuel pump, injectors and fuel rails......add UP real FAST $$$$$$$$$

a few years ago.. a 2005 "F" just like mine.. 2,000 miles... local paper add....
stated will not start...
took him 2 years to sell it cheap.

#11 ·
I purchased my 2004 1300c in 2017. It had 2256 miles on it. It had been kept in a climate controlled garage, so it did not have temperature extremes.

It got a fresh oil change, new battery and tires.

I drained the gas and filled it up with fresh gas and Seafoam.

Oh, I changed the air filter last Spring.

I will likely change the coolant before next Spring.

I am now on my second set of tires, over 10,000 miles and it runs great.

#12 ·
I bought my 2006 VTX 1800C on 12/31/2018 with exactly 5,000 miles on it for $5,200. Ran great, guy was 2nd owner, and he rode it once a week to the store. I replaced the rear tire on 02/21, changed oil/filter on 03/07, replaced brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, changed front tire all in August, and had to replace the battery in October. I've got 14,352 on my last fillup. It rides like a champ, and about to change the rear tire again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.