Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from the Calgary Motorcycle Show.

Highlights were the new V4s from Ducati. Indian had several Challengers there. Yamaha had the latest Venture and Eluder there. Harley was showing off their latest Road Glides, and Livewire, but failed to have the new Pan-American or Bronx bikes to show off. Honda was showing off the new Goldwing, but overall Honda has a lackluster lineup. Other than the Africa Twin, nothing really new, certainly nothing exciting. My son especially liked the new Yamaha MT-09. He's ready to sell his VFR for one. Maybe if he works really hard this summer. He was lamenting the lack of a proper streetfighter from Honda. Certainly they have the CB1000R, but it lacks the character of a V-Twin, triple or a cross-plane I4 engine. IOW, it's just another naked. Suzuki has nothing too new or exciting in my interest anyway, nor does KTM, other than the Dukes. BMW has some new models as well, but not to my taste. Aprilia still has much the same lineup, the Shiver is a good looking bike IMO. The Tuono, as always, is one sexy bike. Kawasaki was showing off their H2s and have some very cool looking cruisers, and the Voyager is a fine touring bike, but very dated. Good value, but dated.

For the big touring bikes, which is my primary interest, Yamaha/Star, Indian and Harley stole the show IMO. One could not go wrong with either of these IMO.Again, Kawi is good value for sure, and if you don't mind the dated dash and ergos, would make a fine mount. Resale on this one would worry me, but it's enough less (substantially) than the competition that it may be a moot point. If you are buying to keep it, they are still a very nice bike. As always, the Goldwing is still a Goldwing. I like them, but they put my feet too far back to be really comfortable ... for me. Very nice bikes though, and thoroughly modern IMO. If one found this bike a fit, it's still at the pinnacle of full dress touring.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
so, if I miss it again this year.. I am not missing anything :)

I do not know "IF" the motorcycle show comes down to Texas... let alone South Texas.

remember, Texas is 1,000 miles north to south.,, and 900 miles east to west :)

the old saying here... its 10 miles away or 100 miles. nothing in between

the LONE Honda dealership down here... does NOT stock NEW Wings.. just used HD's. for tourers.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, if I miss it again this year.. I am not missing anything :)

I do not know "IF" the motorcycle show comes down to Texas... let alone South Texas.

remember, Texas is 1,000 miles north to south.,, and 900 miles east to west :)

the old saying here... its 10 miles away or 100 miles. nothing in between

the LONE Honda dealership down here... does NOT stock NEW Wings.. just used HD's. for tourers.
Depends, I guess, on what you've already seen:wink2:
But, yeah, it's a lot of more of the same. Indian's Challenger was new, although I had already seen one at the dealer. Ducati's V4 Steetfighter is really sweet, but forever out of reach for this guy. Here's part of what I find absolutely amazing. 200+hp from 1000cc to 1200cc, on pump gas, without help. 14,000rpm redlines. This stuff was science fiction 10 or 15 years ago. To me it's completely unbelievable, and I marvel at the level of engineering that goes into much of this. These machines, built on such simple principles, taken to such lengths. I rode a buddies Tuono 170hp V4, and it's so much power in such a small package. The power builds and seems bottomless. Riding a bike like that you feel like you are the fastest thing on wheels .... period.

There were also several classic restorations that bring back fond memories, and stand in stark contrast to the latest and greatest. I always love seeing the results of time and effort into a perfect restoration. It's almost a goal of mine to pick at the finest of details and fully respect the dedication to perfection.

Anyway, the trip to the show was, for me, mostly a father son, shared interest day. The bikes were nice, the conversations engaging, even got a great deal on a new GPS for the bike. The day with my son, however, was priceless. For me the highlight of the show:grin2:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/racing/10-most-extreme-6070s-race-bikes

1966 Honda RC166 250-6

The RC166 or, perhaps as it’s better known, Honda’s 250-6, is arguably the most iconic racing motorcycle of all time, not just for its technology but for its racing success. A four-stroke DOHC, 24-valve six it revved to 20,000 screaming rpm and produced 65bhp which, through a 7-speed gearbox, propelled it to over 150mph. In 1966, Mike Hailwood didn’t just win the 250cc world title, he won all 10 races. The pair retained the title the following year.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Man I would love a new challenger!

No way am I going into debt to get another bike though. It’s hard to justify giving up a perfectly good bike because a new one is shinier.

Damn those adult tendencies!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I would love a new challenger!

No way am I going into debt to get another bike though. It’s hard to justify giving up a perfectly good bike because a new one is shinier.

Damn those adult tendencies!
I hear that. They are really nice ... at least from outward appearances. I didn't even sit on it. Too tempting, and there's no way I'd spend for one right now. That said, nice fit and finish, and thoroughly modern. Big dollars though.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I hear that. They are really nice ... at least from outward appearances. I didn't even sit on it. Too tempting, and there's no way I'd spend for one right now. That said, nice fit and finish, and thoroughly modern. Big dollars though.
If I invest even half the cost of a challenger right now I could probably pay for my 7 month old daughters college education in 18 years. Hell - a honda accord is less than that bike if one buys the base model.

Maybe its just my old ass but a bike should not really be much more than 15k dressed. :dontknow:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Just like cars and trucks, more tech means more money. To replace my 04' loaded out pick up with a new loaded out one would cost more than my first house did in 1996. It's vicious cycle.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I haven't bothered to go to the Toronto motorcycle shows for a few years now.
Absolutely nothing made that I would trade my VTX 1800 in on and i already own 7-8 helmets :p

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cleveland had their m/c show this weekend too. This is the first time in 6 years I did not go. The last couple years vendors haven't been showing up and nothing new to see. Also in fairness I got old (LOL) and nothing out there would interest me. I really love my VTX.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go every year I can because I just like bikes. All kinds of bikes. I also like talking to other people who like bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts