Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing an enclosed trailer soon to haul our bikes in and was looking for any pointers or suggestions.

I work out of state at least 3 weeks a month, and I want to start taking my bike with me on jobs so I can work on my bike and ride in the evenings.

The trailer would be to mainly haul my 1800, and occassionally haul my wife's trike. Could I possibly squeeze them into a 6X12, or do I need to go with the 6 or 7X14? Would a single axle trailer be enough, or should I go tandem?

Any other suggestions or secrets about cargo trailers are welcomed. I know hindsight is 20/20, and I would hate to make a purchase only to realize I should have gotten some other option or setup.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Tandem all the way. Also ad some Z-track in side for tieing things down.. Get one big enough to fit both bikes easy and still have room to move around.

I have a 24" trailer and love it!

·
Registered
769 Posts
if you can find one with a crowned front (nose looks like a wedge) it will be easier on gas and easier to handle

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
best to get 7x14 a 7x12 just can squeeze my 1300 and friends goldwind on and that is with one foward on left and my 1300r on right towards back you dont want the bikes to tight together or will make difficult in tying down and on off removal in my experiance. remember trike is wider and may need to be put on last. this is only my opinion. maybe park your bike and trike next to each other and can see how much room you may need. :thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 6' x 12' open trailer with 2'sides and was able to fit two vtx 1800 with about 1" between the mirrors so I'm thinking your going to need room for your two bikes sitting one behind the other so measure the lenght of each bike and add enough space between them to give yourself room to tie them down

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would go with as big a trailer as you can. You may what to take a friend along some time. The bigger the better! Mine is 7x20 and I could have used a bigger one. And go with a tandem. It's a better ride and you also have brakes.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I figured the bikes would definitely have to be staggered whenever I haul them both. I just hope that my wife's trike isn't so wide that I have to haul them one behind the other. But since it is a trike, I think it will be much easier to secure than a 2 wheeler, even if I might have to put it in at an angle. I am definitely looking for one with a v-type nose also.

I also thought about getting one big enough for my bro-in-law's bike since he always comes to rallies and such with us, but since I will be using it mainly to haul my bike with me to work I don't want to haul a huge-azz trailer all the time with only one bike. Bro-in-law, sorry, but u're on ur own

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I would say at least shop around and be sure U spend your money on what fits your needs Now and In the Future! Hate to look back and say "DAMN" I knew I should have gotten the other one..

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been searching the internet a lot, but there aren't too many places that like to post their prices online. That really bugs me about car dealerships and such. Pretty soon I am going to get out and start hitting the dealers so I can get a firsthand look at the sizes and stuff. I am hoping to find a Cargo Mate or Pace American since they seem to have the best reputation and reviews. We'll see

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Have a buddy in the custom cabinet business and he converted an old horse trailor of all things to haul his stuff around(tools of the trade). He had the doors replaced to weather proof it(you know how the horses stuck their heads out)its totally enclosed. Additionally, its taller than most trailors providing you with alot of overhead storage and it can hold 2 bikes. Just something you may want to look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely go with the 7' wide. That extra foot makes a HUGE difference.

Also check the spacing on the walls and floors for the support beams. You want something that has 16" on center support. A lot of trailers have 24". Personally I don't care about the brand but rather look to see what the spacing is on the support.

Something else to remember, a tandem axle trailer weighs a good but more then a single axle. My single axle 7x12 V nose has a GVWR of 3000lbs. I wouldnt want to tow much more then that and I use a 07 F150 (5.4L)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Aluminum... I have a 6.5X12 Vee Nose ALL ALUMINUM and though it cost more it will last a lifetime, will never rust and it's light for towing. It's a CarGo-Pro which I believe was bought out by Thule.
The Vee Nose is what you need... if it's 7' wide you could prolly stick the trike up in the vee & get the 2 bikes on each side. It would be tight but do-able if you don't have crashbars on the bikes. That V-nose is a bonus and wouldn't buy another trailer w/o one.
I can stagger both my 1300 & 1800 in mine w/o much trouble. Get some good solid wheel chocks, some "E" track and run that on the floors and on the sidewalls.
I put an alarm in mine w/ a marine battery and a solar panel to keep it charged as I do the same as your talking of doing... taking the bike to work, nothing worse then being on the road w/o your bike on a nice spring/summer/fall night.
If its single axle make sure you get 'out riggers' that bolt under the drop down ramp... so that once you take the tow vehicle off the hitch... you drop the riggers down to secure the trailer and the bikes will ride in & out w/o the tongue flying up in the air.

This was the smartest thing I've done for my motorcycling adventures... It's my mobile garage, wired for 120v, carry tools, beer etc. But the best is I can have a bike with me anywhere I travel where I need my work truck.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would say at least shop around and be sure U spend your money on what fits your needs Now and In the Future! Hate to look back and say "DAMN" I knew I should have gotten the other one..
:agree:
IMO, it's better to get what you want & need the first time, rather than to settle on something you'll be putting up for sale later, in order to get what you want & need.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There is a guy in LA that makes trailers. Is in HWY 28 Between Leesville (Fort Polk) and Alexandria; closer to Alexandria than Leesville. He is a retired Air Force guy. I bought a trailer from him and was rock solid. Treated wood floors, all kinds of models. You can go to him and if he doesnt have what you want, he'll build it for you. I cant remember the name but is at the right of the HWY going East.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All good points. The other advantage of a tandem is a flat tire...not if but when..
When a trailer that all of a sudden becomes a unicycle it can be hard to shut down and pull over.:yikes:
A lot of manufactures are putting tandems on the 14's now
Gary

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What will you be using for your tow vehicle?
That's also a tricky part. My company truck is a F-150 4.6L V-8. My personal truck is a Dodge with a 5.7L. The majority of the towing will be with my company truck. Kinda sucks cause I was the last engineer to get a F-150 before they started getting the diesel F-250's for everyone. I am having a hard time convincing them to let me exchange it for a F-250 right now, sux

scup said:
I do the same as your talking of doing... taking the bike to work, nothing worse then being on the road w/o your bike on a nice spring/summer/fall night.

It's my mobile garage, wired for 120v, carry tools, beer etc. But the best is I can have a bike with me anywhere I travel where I need my work truck.
Dude I am right there with you!!

Billet VTX said:
When a trailer that all of a sudden becomes a unicycle it can be hard to shut down and pull over.
I am leaning more towards a tandem axle trailer mainly for that reason.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
We have a Royal trailer and the only thing I would do different the next time is have a RV door put in instead of regular door so that it could be used for sleeping in if needed on a long trip..dual axels make for a smooth ride also..we carry 2 VTX's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts