Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any and all feed back!!!
My 02 1800 C Has 39000 miles on it now. I bought it with 1500 miles onit in 3/04. All of a sudden my bike is cuttin out accelerating through the gears, Not the whole time . Once maybe twice trough the gears and mainly just in 2nd & 3rd. Then it's fine. And only does this when I am getting on it a little harder than average, but no where near the rev limit.
I do have a pc111 on this bike and I hope it is not going bad.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
When you installed the PCIII, did you solder the connections or use the vampire clip that came with it?

If you used the clip, get rid of it and sloder the connections. These clips have been known to slowly sever wires and cause problems similar to what you are describing...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
as mentioned

check battery cables
do the ground fix
and check the vampire clip on the pclll ... after time
it can 'saw' through the wire ... should be soldered (if I
can do it, you can do it!!!)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Done the ground fix as shown on the tech board. It shows only doing the front coil. Do I need to take the rear coil off and do the same to it?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
All posts have valid points to check.

I have a Question for you, I see the bike has 39000 miles but you never posted if you ever changed your plugs. The 2002 models had colder based plugs and seemed to run much better when you would switch over to a hotter plug Bosch 4419's.

The Ground fix is a given point of problems about sputtering or popping.

Check your Exhaust bolts to make sure they are tight. The bike could be sucking air and causing the problem.

How is your air filter?
When was the last time you looked to see if it was clogged up?

Just some reference points to check.

But this does sound like an Electrical Issue<<<

I am sure Bare will chime in at some point. Just thought I would throw some things at ya to check.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air filter clean, Plugs are changed more than needed. Newest being less than 1000 miles ago. I just took the rear coil off and cleaned all connections and put the grease on all of them. The black and white wire going to the rear coil was about to fall off. This might have been my problem (not sure)( I am a welder).
The vampire clip is still on the pc111. As soon as I put my hands on a solder iron I will fix that too.
It's weird because most of the time it runs fine and then I can stop and take off again and it will studder once and go thru the rest of that gear and get to the next gear and do it again and then run awhile without doing it again and only does it while giving it the gas.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Did all of the ground fixes, hope it is the vampire clip on the pc. Went out for a short ride ,does great in town but as soon as i try to open it up thru the gears it cuts out somewhere in the mid to high rpm range.( no tach). I will try to put my hands on a soilder iron 2moro.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks Kenny, (BlazinX )

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Not to change subject, but
my X only has 6500 miles on it.
Stealer told me to change plugs at 8000, but that they were $25 EACH!
Is this right?

BlazinX, what /where do you weld?

(I'm a UA Steamfitter/welder)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought a soldering iron and wire solder and will do away with the vampire clip as soon as I get off of work tomorrow. If that does not take care of the problem I am STUMPED!!! Does this sound like could be something going wrong with my powercommander? Will let y'all know tomorrow if it was the vamp, clip. Thanks Again fellows!!!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
BlazinX said:
Just bought a soldering iron and wire solder and will do away with the vampire clip as soon as I get off of work tomorrow. If that does not take care of the problem I am STUMPED!!! Does this sound like could be something going wrong with my powercommander? Will let y'all know tomorrow if it was the vamp, clip. Thanks Again fellows!!!
Could take the PowerCommander out of the loop and see if it runs right on the bike's original program??

B. :wink:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If all else fails, did you get some bad gas. Maybe add some Heet or other fuel conditioner to remove moisture?

Just another thought

Good luck,

Jim...

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
All of the above is good advice. If all the above has been done then remove the PCIII and test with jsut the stock ECU. Also. before trying that solder the wire in and use male/female disconects so it can easily be removed. I have seen a complete failure of a PCIII for no reason

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, Got home today And pulled the vampire clip off. The wire was almost severed. So I cut the wire and stripped it back, tied the wires together and solder them. Then I cut the vamp, clip off and just tied it into the wire and took it out. No difference, still cuttin out.
Got back to the house and took the powercommander completely out of the loop leaving only the ground hooked up and no more cuttin out. A whole lot of decel popping, but not cuttin out. Looks like I need a powercommander.
Is the powercommander still the best thing going for performance of our big bikes or has technology come up with something better???
Again Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!
Kenny

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh brother did you just open a can of worms. There have been many a heated debate on here about PCIII vs BNB vs others. Check some of the other posts. There is a ton of info on the subject

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had a few months ago. You did solder the grey wire from the PCIII to the red/yellow wire in the ECU connector, right? But how about the PCIII power lead (red wire) that is in U.S. models connected to the backlight circuit under the right side cover (see fig F & G in here). The symptoms sound like that once you turn the throttle up, bad power connection causes the PCIII to reboot that stalls the engine for a second. This is quite easy to verify, assuming the PC is installed under the left side cover. Leave the left side cover off, go ride and once the bike stalls, look at the PCIII: If the PCIII lights are doing the "power-on pattern", you have a bad PCIII power circuit.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thrill said:
Not to change subject, but
my X only has 6500 miles on it.
Stealer told me to change plugs at 8000, but that they were $25 EACH!
Is this right?

BlazinX, what /where do you weld?

(I'm a UA Steamfitter/welder)
I would suggest you buy the NGK BKR5EIX-11. I believe these are the same as the stock plugs but are less expensive because they are used in autos. The iridium plugs will last much longer than 8,000 but they may need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
217 Posts
power commander issue

Try all the other stuff out first of course, but it sounds like your Power Commmander might be it. I had the same problems it seemed a couple years back with the power commander. I took it out of the loop and no problems were had, (other than not having the correct maps for my exhaust and air filter-lots of decel popping). Call the company directly; I did and they sent a new one out at no cost, they were real nice and hassle free about it. Haven't had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts