Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on taking my first overnight trip and want to camp out. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, one-two person, easy to set up, take down, and store tent:?:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Northface Rock 32 tent. They say its a 3 man but it is only a one man by the time you get your bags in there. It is small and easy to set up by yourself and it doesn't leak in the rain.

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
I purchased one last year from REI...failed to use it or set it up before last weekend.
It was a breezed to set up, the poles almost automatically clicked together.
It was 90+ when I bedded down and the sky was full of stars & beautiful moon so I didn't bother with rain fly.
Be sure and get a foot print (ground cover) and a good inflatable mattress.
Have fun...~M

Looks like there's a few on sale...
http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000022

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks for the quick responses and info. Looking forward to camping out under the stars

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently picked up a Eureka Pinnacle 2 tent. About $120. Easiest tent I've ever put up with two aluminum poles instead of fiberglass (lighter). Stores super-small and is lightweight..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have a Eureka APEX tent. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE!!!

No way to control tent temp, as you don't have internal zippers on the windows. It's just a mesh with a difficult rain fly. So if it's hot during the day, and cold at night, you are either freezing or sweating.

Look for a 2 or 3 man tent that has windows you can zip closed from the inside. Make sure that an air mattress will actually fit inside the tent without hitting the sides, which can cause leaks. Don't trust the measurements on the box, those are the bottom of the floor. As most tent sides angle in, you effective measurements on the top of an air mattress are almost always a foot less.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
tent

I've got a Eureka but I don't know the model #. It's a 9'X9', 6' head room. two crossover poles and sets up in about 15 min with 1 person. Lots of room, small storage space needed for it (or bungie to bike). Had it in 30d nights and 100d days, no problem at night but there all hot in the sun.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I have one that fits in my wallet. It's called VISA.

John
Everybody loves a comedian. :thumbup:

Good thread. I need to get a tent for solo I want to do this fall. Tent camping is awesome if you are equipped appropriately.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used a Eureka when I was a Scout Leader. It was a three man, but I'm 6'2" and I only fit diagonally with my gear. It was a dome style with a low profile. Be sure you get one that has vents, and a rainfly that goes almost to the ground. Some leaders had the ones with the rainfly that was more like a rain cap and the wind blew the rain up and under the fly. They got a little wet. My tent cost about $100 from www.Campmor.com it served me well in all types of weather. I agree with a ground cloth for both inside and outside. It will protect your floor from the ground and your gear.
Oh, and set it up and take down several times in your back yard BEFORE your trip. Nothing worse than trying to set up the tent for the first time in a storm.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Teepee Tent...

Planning on taking my first overnight trip and want to camp out. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, one-two person, easy to set up, take down, and store tent:?:
Hands down, this is the tent that has everything you need in a tent. Roomy, ventalation around entire tent. Easy assembly. It's a Guide Gear Teepee tent. Google it. It's on You tube too. Have fun
Safe riding
Blurbn:doorag:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
REI Camp Dome 2 packs small, super easy to put up, strong against wind and rain, good vents.

Other tent nearby had fiberglass poles break in high winds and this tent stood strong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was thinking of a hammock but not sure if a campground is ammenable to this type of set up? What's your experience?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was thinking of a hammock but not sure if a campground is ammenable to this type of set up? What's your experience?
did a solo trip last year in Arkansas. Camped 3 nights in state parks, and didn't have any problems. The hanging system used in these hammocks does not damage the trees.

And speaking of trees..... that is my biggest concern, having to camp some place that does not have enough trees. At this years Texas Blue Bonnet Thunder, I had to pack a traditional tent cause of the lack of trees.

It seems that the army core of engineers idea of a tent camping area is a wide open field.

Other concerns, you don't have the same amount of privacy Vs. a walled tent. So don't sleep in the buff!

Also be sure to bring along some type of bottom thermal layer if you are going to be camping in cooler temps. If you look at my pictures, you will see one of those blue eggcrate sleeping pads under the sleeping bag. I was camping in temps into the high 50's at night, and was warm as a bug in a rug.

Bottom Line,

Packing space: the hamock gear when all packed up takes up less space then the tent gear.

Comfort: I sleep like a baby in the hammock, no tossing/turning. And when using the right gear nice and warm.

Privacy: Face it, the hammock you are letting it all hang out. And if you are not solo, 2 up hammock time... :yikes:

Ease of use: The hennesy linked above is a nice system. I will replace my current ENO hammock when the time is right. Set up time is easy, once you learn how to do it. Lack of trees could be a problem. Even at the BBT, I could have used the hammock, but i would have been away from the main group.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
followup

Just a quick followup and thank you for the help. Purchased a slightly used REI half dome 2 person tent with fly and footprint for $75 found on Craigslist. Looking forward to the camping trip and ride to and through the Blue Ridge Mountains in two weeks with my father and his BMW. Thanks again.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts