Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a corolla and was wondering if it is up to the task of pulling an x on a small trailer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes it will do it. Not very far or very fast. Between the bike and the trailer, almost as much weight as the car. TIVTX

·
Read Only
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neiljp said:
Yes it will do it. Not very far or very fast. Between the bike and the trailer, almost as much weight as the car. TIVTX
in other words no cause im looking to go from detroit to flordia.

i can put the hitch on either my corolla or my honda element.

i think the element has a larger engine.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Funny you should ask. A friend of mine just borrowed my trailer to go to Pennsylvania to pick up a 1300 vtx with an element. He said it worked great. I can't see how a 150 more pounds is going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I used an accura CL from FL to NJ which had a tow cap of 1000lbs. wanted to pull the X w/ an enclosed trailer... had to use open trailer due to the tow rating & it worked great
You don't wanna be stuck on the road with a overheated or blown transmission.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would just ride it there. The vacation or whatever it is would be a lot more fun.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If it's an older Corolla, it and the X may have the same cc displacement!

·
Registered
356 Posts
floptop 454 said:
Funny you should ask. A friend of mine just borrowed my trailer to go to Pennsylvania to pick up a 1300 vtx with an element. He said it worked great. I can't see how a 150 more pounds is going to hurt anything.
Cause it is much more than 150lbs, should be close to 1000lbs in tow weight, on some vehicles with smaller engines and trannys, it could overheat or blow all over the above..

Always check with the dealer to see what the tow caps are on a vehicle.. Doesn't matter how old it is, they/the service department can get you the two ratings on the car.

b

·
Registered
759 Posts
No trouble with the Element, my wife has one and it will pull a small trailer fine.

The key is to look in your owners manual and see.

George

·
Read Only
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
checked it out and the corolla has a 1.8 liter engine with a 1500lb towing capacity.

the x is 641 lbs and a kendon is 350 so that is 991 lbs so it should be good.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I pulled my 1800 with my civic -a 1.7L manual. No problems (after solving some air drag issues, see below)

I used the small motorcycle trailer from U-haul that rents for $15/day. It has the notch for the front tire, and a 4' ramp/tail gate.

if you plan on going over 50mph and still have power and gas mileage, use ratchet straps to keep the ramp/gate at a very shallow angle.

(having it positioned in the up position, where it normally sits, creates such an enormous aerodynamic drag, I couldn't pass very well, or get decent gass mileage, or go uphills very well. With the gate near flat, perhaps a 15 degree angle, and all was good)

e

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
From what you say the tow specs are, you should be fine with the Corolla.

Dale

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Sounds like you will be fine with either. However, I do know someone that did tow their bike(1300) to Marysville a couple years ago. It did just fine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just avoid going uphill and you'll be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts