Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a 180 mile ride on saturday scooting around all of the thunderstorms from winter garden to Ocala national forest and back. after I got home I noticed I had a nail in my rear tire. I only have 1000 miles on it. I want to know if someone will patch or plug it?
hate to have to spend $300. for a new tire to be installed.

I have confidence in a plug or patch and I am not wanting to start a debate.

thanks,

John

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi John,
sorry to hear about getting a nail so soon. I picked up a drywall screw in the center of the tread of my rear tire not long after getting my bike. I put a temporary plug in it and made some phone calls. I found a yamaha dealer in Zephyrhills that put a perma-plug in it. Lasted about 8000 miles till I replaced the tire from wear. Never had a problem.

Russ

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guess I should check mine too! All in all, a great ride as usual!
John, if the nail is close to the center of the tire, plugging shouldn't be a problem. You can call Seth at Motorcycles of Apopka, I'm sure they could do it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, Kevin can!!

He plugged my darkside tire. Right after I had it, I picked up a nail and
he plugged it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You can pick up a plug kit at any car parts place. The best ones are the ones with mushrooms shaped plugs, but they are a little hard to find. Maybe Cycle gear or someone like that would have it. It isn't a tough job. Works fine in rear tires as long as it isn't in the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Motorcycle Clinic in Kissimmee did my Bridgestone Battleax. Wherever you go, make sure it's done right. I have a Stop 'N Go kit with mushroom plugs and I've had to use it way too many times. Most have held up well, but it's considered a temporary fix until you can get it patched and plugged from the INSIDE of the tire - or replace the tire. I had an Avon that Motorcycle Clinic wouldn't repair because the hole was too far toward the sidewall.

Bob

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
jgalfo said:
I went on a 180 mile ride on saturday scooting around all of the thunderstorms from winter garden to Ocala national forest and back. after I got home I noticed I had a nail in my rear tire. I only have 1000 miles on it. I want to know if someone will patch or plug it?
hate to have to spend $300. for a new tire to be installed.

I have confidence in a plug or patch and I am not wanting to start a debate.

thanks,

John
No Problem John!! As Per out Phone conversation, Tomorrow Night!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I was able to plug it myself and so far it is holding air.

it is only 1 1/2" from the sidewall so I think I need a new tire.

Now I have to make a decision. CT or MC ?

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts