Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
5 of us are coming over to do a training course on the 21-24 May next year.Unfortunately for us it it the week prior to the 500 and we might be forced to stay for the weekend and drink lots of beer and have some fun!!!!
Do you know of any reasonable places to stay from the 21 to 30 May next year. Looking fwd to catching up.

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
757 Posts
What part of Indy will you be staying? Northside...Southside...etc? There's lots of hotels in Indy and most are pretty reasonable. However, they do charge a premium for race weekend. There are plenty of places to stay outside the Indy metro area and its always easy access. Indy is easy to get around and not bad traffic compared to other big cities.

Termite

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
We will be working at the Rolls Royce plant at the airport. I am thinking to get something close to there and using taxi/bus for race days.?
Looking fwd to seeing the 500 and experiencing a bit of US hospitality, my first trip to you. You might think this is effing silly, but we are thinking of buying a mini van and driving to Las Vegas. Via route 66 when possible. Any advice appreciated. What is your best beer?

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
beer - Fosters of course...:joke:
I suspect you will get a lot of responses to the beer question. There are of course the national brands like Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc.. then you get the micro beweries. I'll wait for a local to tell you if they have any good micro brewers in Indy.

Van - I think its a great idea, not so sure I would buy one than rent one.

Bunch of outfits rent bikes in Vegas
www.eaglerider.com/
www.cyclease.com/
www.dreamcarrentals.com/las-vegas-day-trips1.php

·
Registered
757 Posts
... but we are thinking of buying a mini van and driving to Las Vegas. Via route 66 when possible. ... What is your best beer?
I had the same thought about renting vs buying...you'll want to check it out and see which works best for you.

Go on Amazon and get a book on old Route 66. Its no longer an official road and many segments of it are gone. Some of those that are left are either now Interstate highway or pretty hard to find. However, it still can be done and, if you have the time, would be a great way to see America's Heartland.

Favorite beer question will start a viral thread :yikes:. My favorite beer is COLD...try them all and see which one you like best. There are lots of microbrews in the local restaurants that are terrific. I've been to Oz many times and was quickly told that Fosters is just recycled horse-piss and mostly sent to the American market...we'll drink anything. Unfortunately XXXX is the name of a condom up here...:shock: so we don't get it here.

You can rent a bike while in Indy...be sure to let us know and we'll show you around.

Termite

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cunning plan

Thanks for the replies guys.
Our latest plan is to buy a couple of cheap bikes to ride 66 and maybe sell them in LA.
I looked at buying a bike and exporting to Aus and selling for a little profit, but the authorities make it hard here and not worth while.
Renting was going to be @ 3K for the 2 weeks.
Does anyone know where we (2of us) might pick up a couple of cheap bikes, not fussy on type, that will last the trip and not break the bank?
We have a week in Indianapolis to look and then leave.
Any help appreciated.
Yes, Fosters is in fact camel piss, and no self respecting Aussie will touch it.

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cunning plan

Our latest plan is to buy a couple of cheap bikes to ride 66 and maybe sell them in LA.
I looked at buying a bike and exporting to Aus and selling for a little profit, but the authorities make it hard here and not worth while.
Does anyone know where we (2of us) might pick up a couple of cheap bikes, not fussy on type, that will last the trip and not break the bank?
Any help appreciated.
Yes, Fosters is in fact camel piss, and no self respecting Aussie will touch it.

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig
I'd jump on craigslists indianapolis the week before you arrive. There will be plenty of in expense bikes ready for quick sale, getting the title into your name, pay any taxes and buying license plate has to be done Monday-Friday at the license bureau.

Doug

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.
We are thinking $1000 might get a bike that will do the 2000 miles and then get whatever we can for them.
I will have a look at Craigslist as we are in LA for a week prior to coming to Indianapolis.
Looking fwd to seeing the museum under the track.
Cheers,
Craig

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
We are thinking $1000 might get a bike that will do the 2000 miles and then get whatever we can for them.
I will have a look at Craigslist as we are in LA for a week prior to coming to Indianapolis.
Looking fwd to seeing the museum under the track.
Cheers,
Craig
A decent runner will likely run you closer to $1,500 USD. Sounds like a great ride idea though. Hope to see lots of pics and some stories to come out of it. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts