Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed it somewhere, but here's my question. I have seen a dozen different bulbs for the headlight of my VTX, What is the brightest, best distance bulb available, without going to hid lights? Can the wiring support the 130 watt bulbs designed for offroad? I want to be able to see and be seen!:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
No, stick with the stock wattage 55/60 and try Sylvania SilverStar.
The "How To" board has why you can't run higher wattage, and another that shows you how you can run higher wattage lamps by adding a relay

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS

Thanks, I kinda figured the extra waatage bulb would require a relay, but I will look at the Silverstar bulb. My Aero is much brighter. Guess it was an aftermarket bulb, my wife says I just want running lights. She must know me!:doorag:

·
Registered
206 Posts
You could use a relay to power the existing headlight and it would be brighter. Add a Silverstar bulb to that combination and still brighter. Change the bulb to one like you are talking about and it will probably melt the housing.

Another workable alternative is to switch to an HID setup. I think that is what I am going to do.

Like Chicago-Spike said check the How-To section for details.

Hope that helps.
John

·
Registered
371 Posts
plus a 130w bulb would get you a ticket faster than you could say "blind spot"

try some driving lights too, walmart sells a pair for 16 dollars that many members have installed, myself included. it adds 2 more 50w lights to the front of your bike and the difference is amazing...plus they look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I was using the Silverstar and it was better then stock. My high beam went out last week and I replaced it with a Silverstar Ultra and it is even better. It was worth the extra $5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts