Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story - New Clutch Master Cylinder and I can't get the air to bleed out.

Long story - I replaced the Clutch and the fluid using a new speed bleeder a couple of months ago. Everything worked great. Then the Clutch Master Cylinder started leaking a few weeks ago. That's what I get for thoroughly cleaning. Must of cleaned out the mud that was plugging a bad seal or something.

I replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder with an OEM* today. But now I can't seem to get the air out of the line. First, using the speed bleeder, than using the conventional method but still with the speed bleeder. The clutch is still obviously too mushy to be disengaging the clutch. Pretty much no resistance through the whole procedure for an hour while using half a can of fluid.

Assuming I did everything right, what can I look into, what can I do? I do have a pump bleeder but didn't want to dig it out... and I shouldn't HAVE to, you know?

Thanks for all thoughts and help on this matter.

*Why didn't I rebuild it, you ask? Because it's an original 2003 part and looked every bit of it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooooh. After some searching, it would appear others have also had to deal with this issue.

Soooo, air at the banjo bolt, eh??????

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, boy, is there a better method than the video I saw in another post?!? Maybe an insider tip, trick of the trade, something better than holding your finger at the banjo bolt mounting hole?!? Sheesh, I don't want to do that. Made me cringe.

·
Old Goat
24,216 Posts
Oh, boy, is there a better method than the video I saw in another post?!? Maybe an insider tip, trick of the trade, something better than holding your finger at the banjo bolt mounting hole?!? Sheesh, I don't want to do that. Made me cringe.
U need to renew/validate your man-card...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
U need to renew/validate your man-card...:thumbup:
Oh, it's not that I mind doing it. It's the resulting uncontrolled brake fluid spray that makes me cringe. Oh, the carnage that could result! :yikes:

But I saw another video that had the banjo wrapped in towels as Blaine C says. I may not have to completely remove the banjo after all. I'll try this first.

But I'm still scared I'll spray brake fluid somewhere. I tend to be ... uh ... messy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Case closed. Still a little loose at the outward end of travel, but it's much stiffer now and it shifts.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Oh, it's not that I mind doing it. It's the resulting uncontrolled brake fluid spray that makes me cringe. Oh, the carnage that could result! :yikes:

But I saw another video that had the banjo wrapped in towels as Blaine C says. I may not have to completely remove the banjo after all. I'll try this first.

But I'm still scared I'll spray brake fluid somewhere. I tend to be ... uh ... messy.

I know what you mean. Cut open some large garbage bags and use it to mask off the area around the banjo fitting. I cover the whole front of the bike. If you are careful, you can pull the bags off of the front of the bike without contacting brake fluid and paint. Then give the whole bike a nice wash to make sure.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you mean. Cut open some large garbage bags and use it to mask off the area around the banjo fitting. I cover the whole front of the bike. If you are careful, you can pull the bags off of the front of the bike without contacting brake fluid and paint. Then give the whole bike a nice wash to make sure.
A while back, I got a bundle of baby blankets at a really good price. I've been using them to protect the bike, garage floor, etc. I spread them over everything, then wrapped shop rags around the clutch line, handlebar, etc.
I then got a direct spray to my forearm. But the bike was spared.
Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might try to tie the clutch lever to the handle grip for a day or so. The air might work its way back to the master cylinder.
Good idea! Even though it's much better now and rideable, I will attempt a final bleed this weekend and if there's no improvement, I will do this. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts