Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I'm in the middle of desmog mod and I can't remove the reed valve on front cylinder. Can i simply plug the hose bib on valve? suggestions.

(I stripped a screw while trying to remove reed valve)

thanks

·
Old Goat
25,594 Posts
Its been suggested that if you just plug the hole it will cause condensation I dont know, but many on here have plugged the hole instead of using block off plates.you might try a large vaccum cap..good luck

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
I thought the issue was if you left the PAIR system intact but disabled it, then condensation was a problem.

I removed the hoses, but used the original reed valve cap. I found the hose bib to be tapered and tried a 3/8" tap, cut a few threads and a set screw with some gasket sealer has been in use for many many months and miles. No problems, no condensation..

Not much difference between that and a block-off plate.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I'd just install the new block off plates. It clean the engine up nicely - I just do it the right way. It's not that hard to remove the reed valve from the front cylinder - thousands have done it with no problem.
I wouldn't just plug the old ones off.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hansnfeet, that's outstanding news! Great to know you haven't had any condensation with that set up.

I just got back from auto store with some vacuum plugs. Guess I'll just cover it, use a little RTV silicone sealer and strap it on.

Donut, only reason I'm not using block plate on front cylinder is because i stripped the screw that holds down reed valve. Rear cylinder has block plate installed.

thanks, all.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Hansnfeet, that's outstanding news! Great to know you haven't had any condensation with that set up.

I just got back from auto store with some vacuum plugs. Guess I'll just cover it, use a little RTV silicone sealer and strap it on.

Donut, only reason I'm not using block plate on front cylinder is because i stripped the screw that holds down reed valve. Rear cylinder has block plate installed.

thanks, all.
I ground the screws off with a Dremell and removed the reeds all together - years ago covers were not even made with the dimples in them so the reed has to be removed for the flat covers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all done

well, I took Hans&Feet and Tennx advice and covered the hose bib on stock reed valve cover using a vacuum cap from auto store.

got it all back together and took her for a ride and all is well, mates. The gurgles and popping all gone. Feels good. Had a 16 yr old Glenlivet on the rocks to celebrate the work.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I ground the screws off with a Dremell and removed the reeds all together - years ago covers were not even made with the dimples in them so the reed has to be removed for the flat covers.
I think he means that he stripped the screw holding the stock cover on, not he reed valve itself.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
well, I took Hans&Feet and Tennx advice and covered the hose bib on stock reed valve cover using a vacuum cap from auto store.

got it all back together and took her for a ride and all is well, mates. The gurgles and popping all gone. Feels good. Had a 16 yr old Glenlivet on the rocks to celebrate the work.

thanks.
Was it not possible to get a pair of vice grips or something on that bolt?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
On the ZLs we have almost an identical set up as the X. I removed the suction valve and all the plumbing off of both of mine. On my 1K Kaw, I left the reed valves in the cover (they just sit in there) and the reed valve cover is in place. Where the fresh air would enter, I just filled those cavities with Ultra Black RTV and she is good as gold. On my 900, I removed the reed valves and tapped the hole underneath (that goes down through the head) and threaded a pipe plug in that. Then I installed a set of polished block-off plates in place. Both set-ups work perfect...

here is a pic of the 900 Eliminator Valve cover with the block-offs installed..

Willy

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
If you want to leave the reeds as I have done, all you have to do is use a drill bit and make a dimple in the bottom of the plate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tried that

I tried quite a few times to get a vice grip on that bolt. Bolt just sat there laughing at all of us who thought this was just a 45 min mod!!

I found a somewhat low-profile socket made by IRWIN at the auto store that claims to grab bolt even if stripped. I'll see if Harbor Freight has some knock-off brand that's cheaper and give her another try when I go for the SCAR mod or something.

I got some occasional backfiring on my ride today. No gurgling just the loud, single-shot kind. Happened about 8 times throughout my entire 40 mile, bar-hoppin' ride today. Anything to worry 'bout guys?

Was it not possible to get a pair of vice grips or something on that bolt?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts