Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this and not to computer smart ether. But here we go. I bought a new 03 1800R last year, and a couple months later it started cutting out at low speeds. It rides great on the highways but hard to ride around town. I've taken it back to dealer several times, but it still seems to do it. And now its out of warranty. But I still need to get this problem fixed, and I could really use some help. So I sure would appreciate any advice that you guys could give me.

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
By "Cutting out" do you mean you feel a cylinder drop? Like it's only running on one cylinder? If yes, tighten up the battery cables and then do the ground fix as seen on the VTXOA Garage site and pay special attention to the "Common Electronics Ground" section. http://tech.vtxoa.com

·
Registered
909 Posts
jmead,
Need some more information. Spike posted a good link.
Don't take this the wrong way but you said you're new to this.
Does that mean riding in general or the computer thing.
Reason being, is your bike stock? Does it have a fuel manager.
(Aftermarket fuel manager). Lot of if's to consider.
What gear and what speed are you at when it cut's out? Doe's bike seem to idle OK?
Can you accelerate form a stop OK?

JT

·
Registered
347 Posts
If there is a cobra FI2000 hooked up check that a few years ago i had one that went bad on the bike at highway speeds would just quit as if you hit the kill switch took it off no problem since!

·
Registered
362 Posts
+1 on batt cables. check all other connections like vac tubes and such.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yes, need more information...and don't take this the wrong way either, but since you didn't post anything about engine rpm or anything like that, is it possible that you're hitting the rev limiter as you go up the gears. If you're not used to the low rpm limiter on this bike, it'll feel like you're sputtering and losing power as you hit the limiter.

A long shot, I know but you wouldn't be the first one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I did'nt give enogh info. My bike is all stock for now it was new when I got it last year had 3 miles on it. The only time it seem to have a problem is very low speeds and low rpm's 15 to 25 mph in 2 gear. I'm going to run that grounds check this morning. and hope thats it. I'm still trying to figure my way around this computor and this is my firt time on this site I just joined. sounds like theres a lot of good advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.