Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set off my 8th car alarm today, in seven months of owning the bike.

Had an audience today whilst I did it too, only idling through a car park. Gotta love the V&H big shots

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummmm. congratulations ??
hehe, I do find it amusing when I set the alarms off though. no one else set any off regularly?

Has anyone their pipes to be an 'annoyance' to other people whilst going along? Like yesterday, on my way home from work 2 guys were putting up scaffolding, and (not deliberately cos I don't like to seems obnoxiously loud), when I blipped the throttle it scared the bejeezus out of them, and they dropped the lot. They wern't impressed, but I was slightly amused looking back in the mirror

·
Super Moderator
64,337 Posts
We are soon to loose our rights to have loud pipes here in the states. A lot of that has to do with this type of behavior, some of it has to do with guys riding through small towns at full throttle with the "Nice people" sitting at their outdoor cafe's with hands pressed to their ears. So, setting off alarms, is not a very good PR activity and only gives bikers more of a bad name 8)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Funny thing is that I though that there are more stringent noise restrictions on that side of the Pond.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Keep that crappy behavior in England.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Last sunday I took a ride up the road to a small town for lunch nice little country town had lunch and headed home just about time church was getting out as I approached the only traffic light on the main drag a group of riders were leaving another eating place all kind of bikes in the group, well they got into the left turning lane and preceded to wake the dead waiting on the light to change made me glad I still have the stockers..02 Have a good one.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
We are soon to loose our rights to have loud pipes here in the states. A lot of that has to do with this type of behavior, some of it has to do with guys riding through small towns at full throttle with the "Nice people" sitting at their outdoor cafe's with hands pressed to their ears. So, setting off alarms, is not a very good PR activity and only gives bikers more of a bad name 8)
Well said Spike! Couldn't agree more. It is a sad fact that there are morons out there who think it is cool to echo their loud pipes off buildings and snap throttles while at red lights. I am not against loud pipes, in fact my Bubs are quite loud. But they are not loud until I am away from situations where the sound might be offensive. Anyone who thinks it makes them cool to blast their pipes off people and buildings needs to grow up.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I have always said you can be loud without being obnoxious, don't like obnoxious

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not something I try to do with the alarms, cos revving at lights, or riding in higher gears to get sound isn't something I do. But just idling through car parks here seems to set off alarms. I'm getting some quieter baffles as its mainly town riding that I do.

Gotta admit, the way i worded my first post is that I was trying to show off how loud the pipes were, not quite what I meant though.

The law here is if the MOT examiner thinks that pipes arn't too loud, then its legal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
OK let's give the guy a little slack, he said he was at idle. It's not like he was bragging about going around reving the s**t out of the engine setting off alarms, chasing small children and breaking windows all over town. Hell I have fired up my stock pipes (with the deep clayton mod) and set off car alarms next to me accidently. It was in no way intentional, how could I even know if the car had an alarm. It seemed to me he was just laughing about it and not bragging.

Peace :)

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I don't think anyone was trying to bash or knock him they were just stating their own feelings about people that do try to set off car alarms or other such stuff

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Either those car alarms in England are quite sensitive or someone's not telling the truth...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
tlawrence84 said:
Ummmm. congratulations ??
hehe, I do find it amusing when I set the alarms off though. no one else set any off regularly?

Has anyone their pipes to be an 'annoyance' to other people whilst going along? Like yesterday, on my way home from work 2 guys were putting up scaffolding, and (not deliberately cos I don't like to seems obnoxiously loud), when I blipped the throttle it scared the bejeezus out of them, and they dropped the lot. They wern't impressed, but I was slightly amused looking back in the mirror
What's that smell?? Wait! I recognize it... it's BULSH*T!!!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
474 Posts
In the words of Jeff Foxworthy...If you ride through a parking lot and your pipes set off car alarms, you may be a *******.
:lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the V&H Bigshots also, however, I don't go around town blasting them. But I do want to be noticed when it matters. And also if people do find my sound obnoxious, then why don't they whine and cry about these punk kids in their piece of crap beat up cars with racing mufflers on them, or that damn rap music being played so loud you can hear the boom boom boom several blocks away not to mention the foul language. Or that soccer mom that almost wiped me from existence because she had her cell phone stuck in her ear. I consider my pipes safety chrome... If you don't understand what I am talking about, then, ride around town through jacksonville florida with a quiet bike and I will bet you that you will have at least one person almost kill you. AMA 4 life 4 freedom !!!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Thunderangel said:
I have the V&H Bigshots also, however, I don't go around town blasting them. But I do want to be noticed when it matters. And also if people do find my sound obnoxious, then why don't they whine and cry about these punk kids in their piece of crap beat up cars with racing mufflers on them, or that damn rap music being played so loud you can hear the boom boom boom several blocks away not to mention the foul language. Or that soccer mom that almost wiped me from existence because she had her cell phone stuck in her ear. I consider my pipes safety chrome... If you don't understand what I am talking about, then, ride around town through jacksonville florida with a quiet bike and I will bet you that you will have at least one person almost kill you. AMA 4 life 4 freedom !!!
Cuz she's the one whining. :wink:

·
Registered
869 Posts
ok i have to admit i was in a parking garage with my sideburners and i couldn't resist ooooohhhh man there was so many car alarms going off that i have NEVER done that again,i had my wife on the back and she was laughing and hitting me at the same time :shock:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts