Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old Goat
24,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a bonafide car nut...cant afford squat....but looking is free..:)
899552E3-1EFB-4B1A-BF7D-7CE0166EB817.png

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
That's the one! 427 side oiler. Maybe not the fastest Cobra Shelby made, definitely not the most reliable, but the one I'd want ... hands down.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wish I had a ton of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I’m a bonafide car nut...cant afford squat....but looking is free..:)
View attachment 169805
you and I both... most brands for me.

I still remember in the mid 1970's shortly after the oil embargo started.
a low mileage Cobra 427 was for sale... $8,000 ... between the bank note and insurance.. he could not afford it anymore.
a hemi Cuda Convertible for $5,000 .. same reason.

the many super great deals ... missed back then..
but no money, no place to store them safely.
working for a dealership had its xxxxxxx.. if money was available..
even the dealerships did not want them for trade-in's... no one would purchase them.
also I got to drive some great cars as well.
the ones that could afford them... do not work on them... that was my job.

Auto Insurance Fraud was out of control in them days also. mostly "Fires".

in 1971, my 1965 Impala SS with a 427.. was stolen, never recovered.. I lost my shirt on it... insurance only gave me book value.. I had over 6k in it plus the car.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
you and I both... most brands for me.

I still remember in the mid 1970's shortly after the oil embargo started.
a low mileage Cobra 427 was for sale... $8,000 ... between the bank note and insurance.. he could not afford it anymore.
a hemi Cuda Convertible for $5,000 .. same reason.

the many super great deals ... missed back then..
but no money, no place to store them safely.
working for a dealership had its xxxxxxx.. if money was available..
even the dealerships did not want them for trade-in's... no one would purchase them.
also I got to drive some great cars as well.
the ones that could afford them... do not work on them... that was my job.

Auto Insurance Fraud was out of control in them days also. mostly "Fires".

in 1971, my 1965 Impala SS with a 427.. was stolen, never recovered.. I lost my shirt on it... insurance only gave me book value.. I had over 6k in it plus the car.
Yes, if only. One needs a time machine. I remember at the time everyone thought that was the beginning of the end of the internal combustion engine, yet here we are, 50 years later with cars that have 750hp off the showroom floor. The ImpalaSS would truly break a man's heart.

My best buddy has this bad boy and has had since he was 16.

'67 Pontiac Grande Parisienne, only his is in Mountain Mist Green, and he's removed the vinyl top.

396 oval port mill with 2.73 gears (factory). Not stupid fast out of the gate, but man this things got legs. He's cammed it a bit and carbed it and swaps in some 3.73 gears every few years for a change of pace, but it's a classic with those classic GM lines. It is really close to stock and easy enough to change back. He, like yourself, is a talented mechanic of some 40 years now and continues to love his craft. You just don't see many of these around.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I have a friend that has a 1956 Chevy post car.... since 1960.... in high school..

forth engine... unknown times the odometer has rolled over..
about 6 years ago. he hit a deer with it... I send the CAR a get well card... really.

he said.. its easier to get body parts after the year 2000.. then in the 1980's.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I read an article about the 427 Cobra where the author told about a challenge to the passenger to grab a $100.00 bill paper-clipped to the visor before the car made it across the intersection when the light turned green. Nobody could do it because they were pinned to the back of the seat from the g-forces of torque. :D

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I read an article about the 427 Cobra where the author told about a challenge to the passenger to grab a $100.00 bill paper-clipped to the visor before the car made it across the intersection when the light turned green. Nobody could do it because they were pinned to the back of the seat from the g-forces of torque. :D
having drove 3 of them ( way back in the day ) that statement is another ( hog wash )..

but YES the force / acceleration is very strong.. but an average man can pluck the hundred dollar bill.

now a top fuel dragster is a completely different story.
NO I have never drove one.. or been in.
8,000 horsepower with very limited tire slip.
horizontal launch of a rocket.

(AP) — Tony Schumacher had the fastest official speed in Top Fuel history Friday in the NHRA Arizona Nationals,< clip >. Schumacher had a 336.57 mph run at 3.667 seconds in his second pass after opening with a 3.649 at 334.65.Feb 23, 2018

yes, from zero to 336mph in 1000 feet. needing only 3.6 seconds.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
my only remaining photos of my 65 Impala SS.

scanB522

as you can see.. NO Chevy emblem , no fender engine size or flag.
no Impala SS side fender emblem..
I altered the front sheet metal to look like fiberglass aftermarket.
Mustang GT Front Fog lights
over sized rear tires.
soon after this photo.. I had a pro letter the rear fenders
" THE ANGRY ONE ".
I pin striped the car myself... only time I did it.
this photo the tires have skinny White side walls
later I changed them to skinny RED side walls. ( fronts only )

photo date 1969...
YES, Cleveland Ohio still had BRICK streets.. except for major main streets.

scanB524

center of dashboard.. below the in Dash tachometer are several switches..
to kill rear tail and brake lights... and electric fuel pump.
aka industrial street drag racing..
Hurst shifter with "T" handle.
Manual steering with suicide knob.
next to seat on the floor ... are retractable seat belts... NOT factory.. 1965 did not come with any seat belts.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
having drove 3 of them ( way back in the day ) that statement is another ( hog wash )..

but YES the force / acceleration is very strong.. but an average man can pluck the hundred dollar bill.

now a top fuel dragster is a completely different story.
NO I have never drove one.. or been in.
8,000 horsepower with very limited tire slip.
horizontal launch of a rocket.

(AP) — Tony Schumacher had the fastest official speed in Top Fuel history Friday in the NHRA Arizona Nationals,< clip >. Schumacher had a 336.57 mph run at 3.667 seconds in his second pass after opening with a 3.649 at 334.65.Feb 23, 2018

yes, from zero to 336mph in 1000 feet. needing only 3.6 seconds.
They shortened it to 1000' for top fuel a number years ago just to try to keep them from going over 400mph.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
They shortened it to 1000' for top fuel a number years ago just to try to keep them from going over 400mph.
and yet,, they are working on it....
when first changed.. they figured 300 mph was a maybe..

IHRA 1/8 mile records
1/8 Mile Records

Class Name Record Sponsors/Car Facility Date
Top Fuel E.T............Terry McMillen........3.106..............Torco Nitro McKinney..................... Toronto............9/07
Top Fuel Speed........T.J. Zizzo...............275.22 mph.....Race News '99 McKinney................Toronto............9/07

Pro Mod E.T............Carl Spiering...........3.945..............Eaton Electrical '67 Camaro.............Toronto............9/07
Pro Mod Speed........John Russo............189.90 mph.....'68 Firebird......................................Toronto...........9/07

Pro Stock E.T..........Pete Berner............4.097..............Quarter-Max Pontiac.......................Rockingham...10/09
Pro Stock Speed......Pete Berner............176.70 mph.....Quarter-Max Pontiac.......................Rockingham...10/09

Nitro FC E.T.............Gary Densham........3.287.............Torco '99 McKinney.........................Toronto...........9/07
Nitro FC Speed.........Gary Densham........259.76...........Torco '99 McKinney.........................Toronto...........9/07

Alcohol FC E.T.........Laurie Cannister......3.731.............Kalbones Grill 'N Sauce '99 Camaro...San Antonio......4/08
Alcohol FC Speed.....Laurie Cannister......198.32...........Kalibones Grill 'N Sauce '99 Camaro...San Antonio......4/08

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Someone recently did 299 in the 1/8 mi. (660') of a 1000' pass.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
back in the day.. I could cut a 400-410 light all day.

slight color blindness...
I could tell the moment the yellow was changing to dark
and green changing from dark

my 65 Impala.. had a 409, 327, 427... also had 2 complete 12 bolt rear axle setup's..
4:11 and 5:13.. depending on the track I was running that weekend.

Thompson drag raceway, Thompson Ohio,
Dragway 42... West Salem Ohio

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Back in 1968 I bought a 63 Jaguar XKE for $2300. Wish I had it now. I traded in a 66 Norton motorcycle for it.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Back in 1968 I bought a 63 Jaguar XKE for $2300. Wish I had it now. I traded in a 66 Norton motorcycle for it.
I helped restore a 1962 Jaguar XKE, body and drive line.. ( 1982-83 ) I drove it a few times.

I learned to NOT work on British motorcycles.. ( anymore ).
Triumph , BSA , Norton , AJS

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I helped restore a 1962 Jaguar XKE, body and drive line.. ( 1982-83 ) I drove it a few times.

I learned to NOT work on British motorcycles.. ( anymore ).
Triumph , BSA , Norton , AJS
My best man was a lifelong mechanic. Back in the day one garage he worked for, the owner's son destroyed an XKE clutch. You changed it by taking off the entire front end, removing the engine & trans as a unit, separating them, change the clutch, then put it all back together. The "BOOK" called for 30 hrs. labor.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
ever replace a clutch in a BMW motorcycle.... aka dry clutch.

2 days..... I have done 3 of them.
the engine does not need to be removed... just the rear half an the rear Frame... final drive, then transmission comes out the back.. then the clutch.

I can change a clutch in a rear wheel drive Chevy in 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes Chuck, I remember the day I pulled the motor from my 68 Mustang one morning and replaced the engine and clutch, reinstalled that afternoon and was drinking beer with my buddies in town at 6PM. No A/C, no power steering, one fan belt and only 7 wires to disconnect prior to engine removal, those days are long gone!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts