Honda VTX Forum banner

Car tire installed at 40,000 miles

7K views 17 replies 1 participant last post by  BigVTXMan 
#1 ·
9/2/05 - 40,000 miles - Oil/filter change, replaced rear Metzler with a Falken ZE-512 Ziex 205/55R16 91V car tire.

#6 ·

50,500 miles -

Replaced rear brake pads.

Installed a new Bridgestone Potenza G009 205/60HR16 car tire on back. The Falken still had several thousand miles left on it, but with my hard bags off, and license plate off, and the bike already on the stand, I figured what the heck. :roll: The Falken was only $66.00 anyway. Paid $105.00 out the door for the Bridgestone, from Big-O tires.

Colorado Power Sports in Boulder actually agreed to mount and balance the car tire, if I signed a waiver, which I did. I also had them check the wheel bearings, and they said they were fine.

#14 ·
58,000 mile maintenance

- Valve adjustment (by me) - Definitely needed it, all the valves were tight.

- Replaced spark plugs - Autolite APP3923

- Removed crankcase breather hose from Forcewinder intake, and install a separate mini-filter on it, mostly for looks.

- Replaced broken auxiliary light lense.

- Replace fuel filter

- Replace baffle wrap with ceramic baffle wrap, and 3M metal tape. (BTW the old baffles were still mostly intact after 30,000 miles. They were fiberglass wrapped with 3M metal tape.)

- Oil and filter change

- Installed mounting bracket for Garmin Nuvi 760

- Recharged battery (still the original from April of 2001. Wow!)

- Cleaned and re-oiled K&N intake filter

- Reset Kissan Pathblazer headlight modulator. (instructions from Kissan are as follows:
Do the following to change to factory setting:

1. Either unplug, or cover the sensor head with a cloth making sure NO
light can be seen. If you are having problems when it is dark then
unplugging it is probably going to be best.

2. Then turn the ignition ON (do not start the bike)

3. Switch the bike to high beam 3 times. HI-LO-HI-LO-HI. Stay on HI the 3rd
time. You will see the head light flash 8 times. This should fix the
problem.

Please call me if this does not work.

Ms. Dimple Johnston
Technical Sales Manager
719-226-0300 x12
s_dimple@kisantech.com
www.kisantech.com

#16 ·
Replaced power distribution box

two of the tabs for the spring clips on my Street Electorpods power distribution module broke off, and would no longer hold the wire in place. Fortunately, I had purchased two of them at the time. Got that replaced, cleaned up the beast, put the battery back in, and she fired right up after a long 7 month hibernation.

#17 ·
New car tire, pads, final

Tire, Brake Pads, Final Drive - 62,500 Miles

- Bought a VTX1800 final drive off of Ebay for $22.00 + $18.00 Shipping, to replace the 1300 final drive I had put on several years ago.
The 1300 final drive was great in the low lands, and long highway rides, but since I've been in the mountains, I really missed the original gearing.

- Replace after market rear pads with OEM. The aftermarket pads only lasted 12,000 miles.

- Replaced the Potenza G009 with a Bridgestone DriveGuard Run-Flat Radial Tire - 195/55R16 87V, which I like much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.