Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing some of you dark siders saying that car tires are great. how are they great? why are they better than a bike tire? how do they do on twisty turny roads or are they more for a straight interstate driver? my thinking is that a car tirer tread is flat cars dont lean to turn bikes on the other hand turn by leaning so bike tires have a round tread. i need a new rear tire very soon!!
all responces and thoughts are great
Daniel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also what size fits best a 205/60R16 or will a 205/55R16 fit under a stock 2002 Retro fender without rubbing

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What makes a car tire so darn great is the mileage or expected mileage you can get. If you ride ove 10k a season it becomes very frustrating buying a new rear tire every 5 - 7k miles, expensive as well. The car tire does just fine in cornering, some make claims that it is superior, since you actually have more tire contacting the ground as compared to a MC tire. The car tire will take some getting use to. You have to train yourself to really pay attention to road irregularities! You will never be riding the sidewall of a car tire, or if you do, you will see a lot of sparks coming off of your bike as well. If you ride 3-5k a season you may want to leave this modification alone!!

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
One more added data......all of the characteristics of the car tire when put on a cruiser..............does most everything better than a M/T.

The reason why the car tire does a lot of things better is because the car tire has softer rubber than the motorcycle tire. I have done a test with a durometer (used to measure softness or hardness of rubber) and I found that's why the car tire works so good in wet and in aggressive twisties. The reason why the car tire doesn't wear as fast is because the car tire has such a large contact patch thus shares the load over a larger area and makes it last longer.

Because the contact patch is so small on a motorcycle tire they have to make the rubber harder to make it last as long as it does, but as soon as it wears your rain grooves are gone and makes for some slippery riding conditions even in the dry.

The second mis-conception is that our tires are flat....they have as much contour as some of the 300 motorcycle tires.

I hope this data helps you to understand the reasons why the car tire works.

....................twin

ps "jackson" is correct....if you just ride to bike nite every couple weeks...this might not be for you. But if you take trips or commute...the darkside is the cat's meow.

·
Registered
769 Posts
80 bucks for a ct sure beats the price of a mt no matter which brand you buy. But what I LIKE best cant tell any difference except as stated before only in vertical ruts. Iguess not for everyone but Ill never go back to a mt! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
car tire

Got my first bike when I was 16, I'm now 60. I went to the DARKSIDE about 2000 miles ago with a Mich. hydroedge 205/65R/ 16 NO mods to my 04 Retro. I love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.