Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see much on fuel cleaning additives. Do they work? Can they damage the bike? How often and how much? Are some better than others? Who has used them and do you feel it worked? I checked online and did not see specific answers. I have been using seafoam (my bike has been running fine) and my riding buddy just started experiencing engine hesitation with fuel injectors and said he never used any additives at 40,000 miles. He doesn't want to take the fuel system apart. What say you!

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
The Pope aka C-Spike has always said Techron.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/186281-question-about-techron-fuel-additive.html

My Sonata - Techron was recommended. I shared some of the big can into my X.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/208262-chevron-techron.html

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/54078-techron-cleaner.html

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/51747-fuel-injector-cleaner.html

Get the picture!

You know there are more situations than just fuel.
jackk what is he riding??
Spark Plugs inspected???

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! He is riding an 2012 1800 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I purchased my 2004 VTX1300c, it had been sitting for a few years. The owner stated that it had been started every month or so and he had used Sta-bil in the gas.

It did run a little rough at first.

I put Seafoam in it at a hair over the 1 oz to a gallon ratio. (The label says a little more will not hurt anything.)

I ran Seafoam for the first 4-5 tanks of fuel I put through it. I even used the reserve setting so that those holes would be cleaned too.

It runs great and I never had to mess with the carburetor.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Ive used Seafoam religiously since new...bike still runs smooth as a fresh jar of skippy......:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Deposits could build up and affect the injector spray pattern.
Injector fine mesh screen could have a blob of crap on it.
Back years ago someone had issues, a blob of crap on the injector screen.

I had a silvery blob between two screens on a chainsaw that caused power loss.

Any MC could have some of the same issues as the VTX 1800.
Grounds for example. Look at the sparkplugs.

·
Super Moderator
63,692 Posts
Techron Fuel System cleaner is recommended by Honda and many other vehicle manufacturers for cleaning up the fuel system. I run 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle through a tank fill up and then the other half on the next fill up once a year. Car and truck get the full bottle once a year.

Seafoam is a great storage additive to keep ethanol blends from gumming up

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
As Spike said, Techron. I have had some techs I consider very knowledgeable and experienced say Techron concentrate. Been told by them if having trouble use full bottle and run the piss out of it.

I use 2 ounces per gallon (double dose) of gasoline at each 5000 miles or if it has been sitting for a few weeks. If I know the X will be sitting for a while I'll put a double of Stabil Marine 360 in the tank and then take a short ride to be sure it is mixed and in the carb.

I don't put the miles on the X like I used to since I now have another ride for long distances I probably will start doing as Spike does, 1/2 bottle per fill up.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have never used any kind of additive ( cleaner or fuel stabilizer).I can't use my bikes for about 5 months in every year. One of my bikes sat for 3 years and the only problem was the rust in the filter from the fuel tank. Had to take apart external fuel pump and clean the filter inside. After that started up without any problem and runs fine since...

·
Super Moderator
63,692 Posts
You only need stabilizer if you can't get anything other than Ethanol blended fuels. If you can get straight gasoline, you're good. Ethanol blends need a stabilizer or it will turn to varnish real quick

·
Registered
56 Posts
When it comes to additives, polyether amine(P.E.A.) is the only salient compound worthy of use or discussing. Redline sl-1 has The highest concentration of P.E.A. of any additives on the market followed by the dark gray bottled gumout Regane and then finally the black bottled Chevron Techron. The Chevron Techron may be in third place, but it is my go-to because for the dollar, it gives you the most P.E.A. it's frequently on sale BOGO free at AutoZone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About once a month or Probably more often every 'other' month I run a tank of Chevron with Techron.... Expensive!
Been inside my carb many times, shines like a diamond in a ....====....
Techron, does its job.....

Just curious, why have you been inside your carb many times?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Just curious, why have you been inside your carb many times?
I have re-jetted and also changed intakes a couple of times. Adding air I have to go back and change things/jets sometimes.
Its a process to get it spot on...
Also had issue with float valve and was in Carb to check that, then to install new one..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been using seafoam for probably close to 30 years and all my motorcycles and cars. I especially like it for my 1800 we're by also use it as a stabilizer to keep the fuel fresh over the winter. Never had an issue bike always fires up right away! It's pretty versatile and can be used in both carbureted and fuel injection applications. I have heard the odd anecdotal experience where buy some Riders claim that seafoam cause them more grief than benefit. Those are few and far in-between and I would highly recommend to use this product.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts