Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vtx 1300c 2004 I bought it in 2012 it has never given me any problems until I had some health problems and it set for about 8 or 9 mounts, I cranked it once a week but didn't change the gas, It cranks right and will Idle fine but will not run unless choke is out push it in and will die under power changed plugs new gas runs some better but still missing and will cut out. As always would deeply appreciate anyone's advice.

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
Clean the carb. Probably clogged jets.
Seafoam or Chevron fuel cleaner may clear the problem.
There is a fuel drain on the carb bowl, requires removing the air box.
The choke aka fuel enricher will keep a high idle, but if you close it to soon the engine will die when cold.
Welcome to the VTXOA!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome to the club!
You look like Santa! You must make a killing during the 4-month pre-Christmas season. :)

I agree with Hans, sounds a lot like the sticky corn syrup coated your jet passages and is not allowing enough fuel for the engine to run without the choke.
When you clean the carb, do NOT forget to clean the idle jet too! (lot of people forget) The main jet is easy to see and easy to clean and the li'l idle jet is easy to miss.

Let us know how you make out.
And please feel free to go into the New Member section and post pictures of your VTX (and yourself if you'd like). We love pictures.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Setting for more than a few months probably did produce some gelling of the fuel, but you should get good results from using a generous dose of Seafoam. I would advise you drain most of the stale fuel first, then add the Seafoam with some fresh gasoline. Start it up and just let it idle for 15/20 minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for a couple of days. I did this to my older GL 1500 Goldwing many years ago and it cleared the problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts