Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live about 21 miles away from the Marriottsville AGC range. I think that I am going to start visiting it on my motorcycle to shoot. Beats taking my gas hog Tacoma there.

I don't have any issues with transporting pistols there; since I have Pelican side cases and can store the pistol(s)/revolvers(s) separately from any ammunition. However, rifles will not fit in the Pelican side cases, so I need to figure out how to transport a rifle or two on my bike.

I am posting a picture of my V-Strom; though I have two bikes (other one is the VTX), this will be becoming my primary range vehicle:

So, any ideas out there on how to transport a rifle? Koplin cases? Just strap it across my back? Tie it to the handlebars? And to do it legally as well....?

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Depending on rifles, and not to insult your intelligence, my buddy has a M4(not sure what the civilian designation is) that he simply breaks into two pieces and stores in his backpack. Only about an inch or so of the barrel pokes out.

Hell though I ain't the one to be giving you advice, I live in Georgia were we could pretty much mount a shotgun to anything we want hahah!

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I live about 21 miles away from the Marriottsville AGC range. I think that I am going to start visiting it on my motorcycle to shoot. Beats taking my gas hog Tacoma there.

I don't have any issues with transporting pistols there; since I have Pelican side cases and can store the pistol(s)/revolvers(s) separately from any ammunition. However, rifles will not fit in the Pelican side cases, so I need to figure out how to transport a rifle or two on my bike.

I am posting a picture of my V-Strom; though I have two bikes (other one is the VTX), this will be becoming my primary range vehicle:

So, any ideas out there on how to transport a rifle? Koplin cases? Just strap it across my back? Tie it to the handlebars? And to do it legally as well....?

Kindest Regards,

-Will
If I remember correctly, Reno Raines on the show Renegade had a holster on the side of his bike that he slipped his riffle into. Something similar would be the best option, pointed downward in case of an accidental discharge of an "empty" weapon. (it happens folks) On the bars is a big NO NO. Never with the barrel pointed parallel to the horizon.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts

Kindest Regards,

-Will
Put a sling on it and strap it to your back you road warrior :thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wife has used my Maxpedition soft rifle case to transport her mini-guitar before. I'd feel good transporting my AR15 the same way. She sets it horizontally across the seat, in front of the sissy bar, and straps it to the sissy bar and luggage rack with a bungy net.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife has used my Maxpedition soft rifle case to transport her mini-guitar before. I'd feel good transporting my AR15 the same way. She sets it horizontally across the seat, in front of the sissy bar, and straps it to the sissy bar and luggage rack with a bungy net.
I have been contemplating that. I have enough space on the rear seat to carry an enclosed rifle case or two across it; and then bungee it down. I just don't like how far out from each side of the bike that it will extend.

You see, I have some really long rifles (like Turkish Mausers, 91/30 Mosin Nagants, etc) that I constantly let bark, and I'd like to be able to carry them in a position more in alignment of the forward thrust and orientation of the motorcycle itself.

So I keep scratching my head about this. Still open to some ideas or links....

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Registered
69 Posts
Set them up there and see how far they stick out past your saddlebags. Pay attention to balance.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a tail view of the bike. The saddle bags (Pelican cases) do occupy some horizontal space on the sides; probably will end up going with the rifles cased across them; with barrels of cased weapons opposite of each other (Cyberhick, don't worry I am not into negligent discharges)

Kindest Regards,

-Will

PS: Always open to more ideas about this, so don't consider this thread "completed"

·
Old Goat
26,226 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. Large PVC pipes. ..and no one would be the wiser.

;)

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Couldn't you modify a ATV rifle/shotgun holder?

OR carry it like Leonard Smalls in "Raising Arizona."

jp

1 - 20 of 40 Posts